Founded in 1979, Columbia International College (CIC) is the largest boarding high school in Canada. During our 44 years of history, parents from over 120 countries have placed their children in CIC’ care.
CIC offers the Total Care Education System to support students to achieve their goal of getting into a post-secondary institution of their choice. Our Total Care Education provides services that can support international students to meet their Academic, Social, Emotional and Physical needs.
The position of the Residence Life Supervisor - Nights is responsible for the health and welfare of the students, accommodations, and residence life. The Residence Life Supervisor oversees the daily operations of all student-related programming offered within their assigned residence building. This position must liaise routinely with all departments to ensure the proper care of the students and report any building-related issues.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with the Residence Director, Residence Life Managers (RLM), and Residence Life Supervisors (RLS), to continue to develop and manage the residences and YAA program.
- Implement, update and develop policies and procedures for residential living.
- Communicate with relevant stakeholders as required.
- Coordinate with various departments on different issues that relate to the YAA and JMS programs.
- Participate and attend meetings for school-wide committees, as required.
- Provide timely reports and ensure that all residence documents are up to date.
- Complete residence housing duties (check-ins/check-outs, orientation, etc.) as needed.
- Assist RLMs with employee schedules as needed.
- Assist the residence department in implementing employee professional development needs.
- Attend meetings, training, etc. as required.
- Closely monitor and maintain positive morale among employees to identify and prevent workplace negativity.
- Develop and communicate clear expectations to staff, oversee training, and monitor performance while providing direction and constructive feedback.
- Supervise, advise, evaluate, and encourage developmental opportunities for residence employees.
- Work with the Residence Director to resolve any disciplinary issues.
- Ensure consistency of program delivery, discipline, and policies between residences.
- Exercise flexibility to respond and be present for issues that are known to occur regularly in the residences.
- Assist RLMs with yearly performance evaluations in keeping with the performance appraisal process.
- Maintain a professional team environment in the residences.
- · Monitor and respond appropriately to student behavior issues.
- Where appropriate, work with Campus Security to interview students and investigate incidents that occur in the residences and file the necessary reports.
- Review all documentation submitted by employees regarding residence incidents and report the findings to the Residence Director.
- Understand and effectively utilize all of the support networks in place for students.
- Implement a reward and discipline system to track the progress of students on their attitude, participation, and cooperation in residence life.
- Ensure proper standards of building maintenance and cleanliness through regular inspections of the premises.
- Monitor residence study periods, academic support, and tutoring for all students.
- Counsel students on disciplinary issues by the progressive discipline system in residence, as well as the ACTS system.
- Regularly report all social, emotional, physical, academic, and health issues on Student Tracker and follow through to find solutions.
- Facilitate interventions and promote residential community standards.
- Liaise with stakeholders to enhance the welfare of the students.
- Attend trips with students as needed.
- Any other tasks as assigned.
Specific Job Skills:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent training in a related field.
- Experience working with youth in a multicultural environment is an asset.
- Supervisory experience is an asset.
- Strong and assertive leadership and assessment skills.
- Excellent logistical and communication skills (both oral and written).
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- People management and decision-making skills.
- Ability to be an effective member of the interdepartmental team.
- Strong computer skills, including experience with databases, word processing, and spreadsheet programs.
Hours of Work/Other Requirements:
- Ability to nights from 11pm - 9am
- Flexible availability required
- Required to work at and rotate among different residences to deliver the highest total student care possible
- Must have reliable transportation.
** We kindly ask that applicants submit a cover letter, in addition to a resume**
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- HAMILTON, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Have you previously been employed with Columbia International College? If so, what were the approximate dates of your employment?
Work Location: In person