Posting No: 068
Posting Date: August 24 to September 8, 2023
Division: Legal Services
Labour Group: Police Out-of-Scope
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
1. Provides legal opinions on policy, agreements, legislation and various areas of law, including Litigation, Criminal, Labour and Employment, Administrative Law, Municipal, and Privacy and Freedom of Information.
2. Prepares and responds to requests and inquiries from external stakeholders, including Freedom of Information requests.
3. Prepares for and responds to court applications, as well as appearing at various levels of Court, on behalf of the Chief of Police and the Saskatoon Police Service.
4. Assists with preparing for inquests and discipline hearings.
5. Prepares, negotiates and reviews a wide variety of contracts and other legal documents for current and new initiatives of the Saskatoon Police Service.
6. Reviews and revises the Saskatoon Police Service’s policies and procedures.
7. Performs other related duties as assigned.
· Graduation from an accredited school of law.
· Membership, or eligibility for membership, in the Law Society of Saskatchewan.
· 8 to 10 years’ related legal experience.
· Experience in criminal and civil litigation, and employment law in a unionized workplace would be an asset.
· Skills in analysing, evaluating and organizing facts, evidence and precedents; and in devising solutions to legal problems unique to a policing environment.
· Demonstrated knowledge in the interpretation and application of The Police Act, 1990 and Regulations, and The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
· Demonstrated ability to make decisions and/or give advice independently on complex and confidential issues.
· Ability to work within a highly detailed and time sensitive environment.
· Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing to both internal and external stakeholders.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships externally and internally.
· Ability to pass the Saskatoon Police Service security clearance process.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $131,460.00-$154,464.48 per year
Work Location: In person