LEGAL COUNSEL - Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority
Are you a self-starter, highly motivated lawyer looking to hone your legal skills doing varied work that deepen your legal knowledge? Are you tired of the same old humdrum routine at your current law firm or law department? Do you enjoy work-life balance and flexibility? Are you eager to explore opportunities to work in some niche areas of law? You will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, respect, responsibility and integrity.
If you're fueled by intellectual curiosity and possess a relentless drive for excellence in the realm of law, we would love to talk to you.
The Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority of Saskatchewan (FCAA) protects consumer and public interests and supports economic well-being through responsive financial marketplace regulation. FCAA enhances consumer protection through licensing, registration, audit, complaint handling and enforcement activities pursuant to various provincial statutes. Among the divisions within the FCAA are Pensions Division, Consumer Protection, Insurance and Real Estate, and Consumer Credit.
What is the opportunity?
The Legal Branch is seeking to staff 2 Legal Counsel (one permanent full time, and one permanent part-time – with opportunity to work up to full-time hours) positions to support the FCAA on a wide range of legal matters arising from its operations. Reporting to the General Counsel, your practice will extend to all subject areas that touch upon the organization’s operations, including in the areas of administrative law, civil litigation, contract law, pensions, policy development, legislative drafting, regulatory law, insurance, statutory interpretation and corporate law.
In this position, you will have ample opportunity to work on novel and emerging legal and policy issues that will greatly enhance your value as a legal professional.
What will you do?
- Conduct legal research and preparing legal opinions/memoranda on issues arising from any of the program areas administered by FCAA;
- Advise on and assist with investigations of possible breaches of legislation or other regulatory issues;
- As needed, provide legal advice and support to hearing panels in respect of matters under adjudication;
- Advise with respect to interpretation of legislation administered by the different divisions and, as part of a team, developing proposals for new or amending legislation; and
- Deliver sound, creative and practical legal advice, demonstrating solid knowledge of application of legal principles to factual scenarios.
What do you need to succeed?
- A university degree in law and membership or qualification for membership in the Law Society of Saskatchewan.
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: administrative law, civil litigation, contract law, pensions, policy development, legislative drafting, statutory interpretation, regulatory law, insurance, and corporate law.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a law firm, as in-house counsel, or in a government department or institution.
- Experience in conducting civil litigation, regulatory proceedings, criminal prosecutions or providing legal advisory services.
- Excellent research and analytical skills, including the ability to practically apply legal concepts to fact situations using judgment and discretion.
- Ability to leverage your legal knowledge and solid analytical skills to excel across a diverse range of assignments.
- Creative thinker, strong attention to detail, and eager to learn.
- Excellent interpersonal skills along with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
If you are unsure whether your experience matches every requirement above, we still encourage you to apply anyway. We are looking for varied perspectives which include diverse experiences that we can add to our team.
What’s in it for you?
The FCAA offers:
- Competitive compensation. The salary range for this position is $7,129 to $13,736 monthly. These positions are eligible for annual performance-based salary increases.
- Comprehensive health benefits including life insurance, medical, dental, extended health plan, and long-term disability;
- Employer sponsored pension plan;
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and mentoring
- Professional development opportunities;
- Opportunity to do challenging work;
- Positive workplace, upbeat corporate culture;
- Excellent work-life balance, including the potential to work remotely.
Candidates should indicate in their application whether they are applying for the permanent full-time position or the permanent part-time position or both.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: September 29, 2023
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $7,129.00-$13,736.00 per month
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-09-29