At Halton Region, we treat everyone with respect, honesty, fairness and trust. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse population we serve. Halton Region is committed to providing accommodation to individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
As an employer of choice, Halton Region recognizes the many benefits of hybrid work arrangements including flexibility and better work-life balance for our employees. This position is eligible for our Hybrid Work Program.
Posting ID: 2342
Department: Legislative & Planning Services
Division: Legal Services
Pay Range: $75,743 - $100,992
Job Type: Permanent
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Work Location: Halton Regional Centre - 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville
Employee Group: OCT
Posting Date: September 18, 2023
Application Deadline: October 2, 2023
Reporting to the Manager, Risk and Insurance Services, the Claims and Risk Specialist will be responsible for managing and processing third party liability claims, first party property damage claims, and pursuing financial recoveries, where applicable. This position will analyze and mitigate risks the Region may be exposed to through program and contract review, with a view to minimize, eliminate or transfer all types of liability exposures and safeguard municipal assets against loss.
- Review, evaluate and direct the processing of all third party liability claims in order to protect the interests of the Region and Halton Community Housing Corporation (“HCHC”).
- Identify and pursue financial recoveries on first party property damage claims.
- Assign and direct external adjusters and legal counsel on third party liability claims.
- Refer claims to insurers in accordance with established practices and work directly with insurer claims representatives.
- Attend settlement conferences, discoveries, mediations, pre-trial or trial, as required.
- Approve payments and settlements within established authority and deductible.
- Safeguard municipal assets against loss and minimize the Region’s risk exposures by: reviewing contracts, agreements, leases and tenders; drafting insurance clauses; and providing recommendations on indemnification language, limitation of liability, etc.
- Provide recommendations and/or comments to ensure that proper contractual risk control and transfer mechanisms are in place.
- Provide ongoing risk management education and advice to all levels of staff; address risk issues as matters arise.
- Analyze claims trend reports for loss forecasting purposes; recommend strategies for claims and risk management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of post-secondary education and a minimum of three (3) years of progressive experience in claims, insurance and/or risk management, preferably in a municipal environment.
- Working knowledge of various statutes including the: Insurance Act, Occupier’s Liability Act, Negligence Act, Municipal Act, and any other statutes related to the job function.
- Proficiency with MS Office.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion when dealing with sensitive information.
- High level of accuracy and organizational skills.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) and/or Canadian Risk Management (CRM) certification.
Important information about your application:
- In accordance with requirements in Ontario Regulation 191/11 – Integrated Accessibility Standards and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Region will accommodate the needs of individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please inform the Talent Acquisition representative of the nature of the accommodation(s) you require.
- Please submit your application online. We will accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities and others who are not able to apply online. If you experience any issues with submitting your application, please contact HR Access at 905-825-6000 extension 7700.
- Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on the deadline date specified on the posting.
- We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
- Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
- If selected for an interview, you will be contacted by email and/or phone. Please ensure the contact information provided on your resume is up to date and that you check your email and voicemail regularly.
Halton Region serves more than 624,000 residents throughout Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville. We are committed to delivering high quality programs and services that make Halton a great place to live and work. We engage great people who contribute to meaningful work that makes a positive difference in our community. At Halton, you are encouraged to grow and succeed in your career and are recognized for your accomplishments and contributions. As an employee, you will be part of a progressive, service focused and award winning employer with a diverse and inclusive work environment.