Legal Assistant - Employment Law
, for well regarded law firm client, Markham.
Marberg Job Number:
Permanent Full Time
$55,000 per annum to $65,000 per annum according to experience, plus benefits and additional incentives.
Regular Work Hours:
9 am to 5 pm, not including 1 hour unpaid lunch break, Monday to Friday (35.0 work hours per week). Should have flexibility to work occasional extended hours.
Hybrid - combination of remote-based and onsite at client's Markham office, with free parking provided. Fridays are always worked from home.
Provide legal and administrative support services to designated lawyers.
- Revise and draft pleadings and other legal documents and correspondence from templates and written or verbal instructions.
- File documentation with administrative Boards and Tribunals, and civil courts.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, conference calls, and court, Tribunal, and/or Board appearances.
- Open, maintain and close files in compliance with regulatory requirements and due dates.
- Maintain time dockets.
- Manage calendars and task lists of assigned lawyers.
- Additional legal and office administrative support responsibilities as required.
Legal Administrative Assistant Diploma, Law Clerk Diploma, or equivalent combination of work experience and education.
ILCO certification an asset.
Preferred Work Experience:
At least 3+ years of progressive legal administrative experience in an employment or civil litigation law practice.
Technical and Language Skills Requirements:
Task -Based Qualifications and Additional Attributes:
- Proficiency in MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and SharePoint (will be tested).
- Strong typing skills and demonstrated attention to detail (will be tested).
- Sound knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure (may be tested).
- Familiarity with docketing software.
- Familiarity with Board and Tribunal processes and procedures, including Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario and Ontario Labour Relations Board.
- Punctual, responsible, and reliable. Demonstrated record of professional conduct and character.
- Pleasant and courteous. Demonstrated commitment to client service and professional representation of the organization.
- Proven ability to professionally handle confidential information and exercise good judgement in the interpretation and application of instructions and organization policy.
- Superior attention to detail, and organized, methodical approach to completion of tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to work well both independently and collaboratively, and liaise effectively with a wide and diverse range of internal and external professional contacts.
- Advanced organizational, coordinative and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks effectively for self and others, meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated successful experience of prioritizing work, making decisions and communicating with others within a values framework of respect, equity, anti-racism, diversity and inclusivity.
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that Marberg Staffing updates job posts regularly, and external job boards may not reflect these changes in a timely fashion. Please refer to https://marberg.com/career-portal for the most current information including salary range.
Please note that Marberg Staffing only accepts applications through Indeed.ca, LinkedIn and marberg.com.
Marberg is committed to supporting workplace diversity and inclusivity, to reflect the demographic profile of all Ontarians. Applications are encouraged from equity seeking groups including people of colour, Indigenous people, individuals with disabilities, and people from the LGBTQ2S community.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada, providing satisfactory documentation upon request.
- Ability to work both remotely and onsite, abiding by organization health and safety policies.
- Ability to declare personal Non-Conflict of Interest in execution of assignment / position responsibilities.
- Provision of certification of AODA and OHSA online training course completion prior to assignment start.
- Satisfactory Background Checks, Technical Skills Evaluations, and Employment References.