Sultran intends to be a world class supply chains solutions company for bulk commodities serving the global market. Achievement of this vision is through the offering of logistical solutions and tidewater terminal services.
Sultran Ltd., based in Calgary, Alberta, is a private, independently managed company offering logistical services for bulk commodities from production point to vessel. For over forty years we have managed the export of Canadian formed sulphur and aspire to further expand the use of our logistics skills, process, intellectual capital and assets to other bulk commodities.
Through our wholly owned subsidiary, Pacific Coast Terminals Co. Ltd. (“PCT”), based in Port Moody, BC, we provide world-class tidewater terminal handling solutions for bulk commodity exporters of Sulphur, potash, ethylene glycol and canola oil with expansion of existing capacities in the planning stages.
Our success is built around the right people working collaboratively within a results driven corporate environment that values continuous improvement, environmental responsibility, safety and strong governance.
The role of Assistant Controller is immediately available. As the Finance department acts as a shared service for both corporate entities, you will support the Enterprise Controller and Finance team by providing timely and accurate segment reporting.
Key Responsibilities / Results
· Responsible for the timely, accurate preparation of the individual legal entities segment financial reports ensuring no material errors.
· Maintain the integrity and accuracy of information in the financial accounting (chart of accounts) and reporting systems within all relevant the software systems.
· Adhere to established internal controls for the Economic Enterprise and maintain all necessary backup to support account balances.
· Provide, analyze and interpret internal financial, cost and management reporting free from material errors.
· Responsible for project accounting deliverables including capitalization of costs, tax classification, variance analysis and action planning with key stakeholders.
· Assist and maintain the capital asset ledger including all system set-ups, processing of acquisitions and disposals, tax reporting, insurance valuation and reporting, property tax valuation and repotting and payment in accordance with applicable legislation
· Assist the Controller with timely and accurate filing of indirect tax reports and related instalment and final payments consistent with the overall corporate tax strategy.
· Prepare all journal entries and reconciliations required to capture relevant revenue and costs not otherwise captured in the sub ledgers.
· Research and report on internal operational variances to budget on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
· Prepare accurate and timely detailed management reporting as required by the operational divisions to support decision making in order to monitor and achieve strategic goals.
· Maintain a capital asset ledger for the Economic Enterprise and prepare annual report on assessable additions.
· Participate and assist in audit preparation to ensure a clean audit opinion.
· Participate and assist with the administration of project accounting.
· Participate and assist with the preparation of annual budget and subsequently maintain the approved budgets in the appropriate software.
· Review and advise on all coding allocations for all sub ledgers (including waterfront payroll) to comply with budgets.
· Administer debt transactions and review all cash transactions performed by other staff.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree, and be near completion of their CPA designation. Previous experience in a federally regulated environment is considered an asset. Candidate must demonstrate:
· Apply accounting knowledge and practices as per the current CICA Handbook.
· Excellent communication skills by way of verbal and written form, conveying financial information using language the reader will understand, asking questions in a way to enhance clarity, in a timely fashion.
· Takes personal responsibility for the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of financial reporting.
· Prioritizes tasks by importance and deadlines, adjusting as required to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities.
· Excellent computer skills (minimum intermediate level skills) and experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Power Point, accounting software (Sage), ERP software (Maximo), dashboard software (Tableau), and logistics software (STARS)
· Displays an ongoing commitment to learning, remaining complaint with professional development requirements.
· Displays professionalism and confidentiality as required, in all interactions acting with integrity and ethics, and maintain composure in stressful situations.
· Builds constructive working relationships with other departments to achieve Company strategic goals and objectives.
· Adapts to changing business needs, conditions and work responsibilities.
· Initiative and ability to work independently as well as being a strong team player
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $90,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Port Moody, BC V3H 5J9: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Accounting: 3 years (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Port Moody, BC V3H 5J9