At ASR Family and Estate Law, we work together as a team. We have a personal, responsive, client-focused attitude. We are efficient and our services are cost-effective. We are all dedicated to providing the best possible service to ensure that our clients obtain their desired results.
All of our team members enjoy flexible working schedules. Our office operates virtually; however, we do have shared office space where our team members meet 1 – 3 times per month.
We encourage our team members and their families to remain healthy - physically, emotionally, and financially. To ensure the health and wellness of all our team members, we offer our team members a comprehensive benefits package and disability insurance.
We support continued professional development and encourage professional and personal growth.
Our work environment includes:
- Modern office setting
- Work-from-home days
- Relaxed atmosphere
- Flexible working hours
- Safe work environment
We are currently recruiting a legal assistant to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing administrative and practice management support to lawyers and law clerks, and must be open to embrace technological change that improves how we practise and serve our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Case Management Administration
- Maintain files according to set processes
- Ensure that any new contact information is added to files in a timely manner.
- Ensure all paper documents, emails are scanned and electronically filed
- Keep documents up to date, including expenses/disbursements
- Other duties as assigned including delegating with supervision some routine Law Clerk duties
Lawyer and Law Clerk Support
- Draft routine documents and correspondence
- Format legal documents and correspondence
- Ensure that the formatting of documents meets the standards for legal practice
- Proofread legal documents
- Ensure that deadlines are diarized, and that lawyers and Law Clerks are kept abreast of these deadlines
- Prepare electronic binders for court, mediations, hearings, etc. under the direction of Lawyers and/or Law Clerk
- Handles logistics for the case; reviewing practice directions, scheduling court dates, boardroom bookings, offsite meeting rooms, organize process servers, couriers, filing with the court, uploading to Caselines, etc.
- Set up meetings/appointments with clients and other parties for the Lawyers and Law Clerks and advise them immediately of the scheduled time of the appointment
- Advise Lawyers and Law clerks when documents or information, e.g., retainer agreements, payments, information has not been received from clients and follow their instruction on next steps.
- Respond to client and other parties telephone enquiries on routine matters; obtain guidance from the Lawyers and Law Clerk when needed
- Transmit messages and receive messages from the client
- Minimum of two years’ experience as a legal assistant;
- Successful completion of a community college level Legal Assistant / Law Clerk program;
- Handle the time pressure situations and stress of multiple demands;
- Strong knowledge of the Family Law Rules and Rules of Civil Procedure and proficient in preparing court forms;
- Strong technical skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, and Calendar), Adobe;
- Familiarity with Zoom and Clio will considered be an asset;
- Embraces technological innovation;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Conscientious with strong attention to detail;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Solid understanding of business and legal terminology;
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information in a discreet manner;
- Client-service oriented;
- Ability to work within a team environment and independently; and
- Flexibility to the changing demands of the job.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00-$55,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Work from home
Supplemental pay types:
- legal assistant: 1 year (required)
Ability to Commute:
- Toronto, ON M4W 3L4 (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Toronto, ON M4W 3L4