We are looking for a Corporate Accounting professional who is ready for their next career move. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to advance his/her job scope and gain significant experience and exposure to a corporate structure with companies both in Canada and the United States.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in accounting and technical expertise which are critical for success including the ability to communicate, collaborate and manage a team with multiple projects and deadlines.
The position will be responsible for periodic financial reporting, annual audits, annual budgeting, corporate tax return filing, and monthly bookkeeping routines including working closely with the team to meet various corporate and government reporting requirements.
- Corporate Accounting: Manage the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close process, including review of journal entries, account reconciliations, intercompany allocations and reconciliations, balance sheet analysis, and detailed variance analytics. Prepare accounting memos to determine appropriate accounting treatment under US GAAP and other accounting standards, as necessary.
- Financial Reporting: Prepare consolidated financial statements and other financial reports on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis. Actively participate and support the resolution of technical accounting issues, including coordination with auditors.
- Tax Management: Oversee tax compliance activities, including the preparation and filing of corporate income tax returns in both Canada and the US, and other regulatory filings. Stay updated on tax laws and regulations to ensure compliance and identify tax-saving opportunities.
- Internal Controls: Review and improve internal control procedures to minimize risk exposure while promoting efficiency, accuracy, and consistency in financial operations. Assess the effectiveness of existing controls, identify gaps or weaknesses, and implement enhancements.
- Forecasting/Budgeting: Support the preparation of Corporate annual consolidated budgets.
- Team Management: Supervise and provide coaching and mentorship to the team.
- 5+ years of progressive accounting work experience
- Post secondary degree in Accounting
- A professional accounting designation or working towards a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation
- Prior experience in people management
- Prior experience in financial reporting and corporate taxation compliance, backed by strong accounting and corporate taxation knowledge.
- Prior experience in an accounting function which includes month-end and year-end audit activities
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to use advance functions such as queries, pivot tables, macros, advanced formulas, building templates
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively (both verbal and written)
- Ability to quickly build relationships within immediate team and across departments, fostering an inclusive and collaborative culture
- Ability to organize and prioritize effectively, and meet tight deadlines and multiple priorities, without compromising on attention to detail
- Uses initiative and can think outside the box, embrace the Kaizen spirit – a culture of continuous improvement.
Nice to have:
- Proficient user of accounting software
- Prior hands-on experience in various modules such as AP, AR, GL and multi-currency settings
- Prior experience in liaising with external auditors and managing accounting and tax projects
- Knowledge of US GAAP and US taxes
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft software such as Outlook, Word, and Teams
- Fluent in Cantonese
Note: We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement until further notice.
We are committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- What is your expected salary?
- Cantonese (preferred)
- Mandarin (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Markham, ON L3R 6B9