Job Title: Law Clerk
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario
Report To: Team Leader
Job Summary: This is not an administrative or secretarial position. The Law Clerk is primarily responsible for analyzing documents and information and generating a summary of the information and analysis. The Clerk will be working on insurance defence files, including tort and accident benefit matters. The ideal candidate will be someone who takes initiative, is detail-oriented, organized, and possesses strong writing skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze and summarize documents and files
- Prepare and review affidavits of documents
- Follow-up correspondence and updating of undertakings charts
- Preparation of pleadings
- Draft statements of issues
- Assist with preparation for trial or hearings
Skills and Specifications
- Preference will be given to Applicants with experience reviewing and analyzing productions (particularly medical documents) in personal injury, either plaintiff or defence. Previous experience on files where catastrophic impairment is in issue is considered an asset.
- Must be able to work well independently with little supervision as well as see the benefits of being part of a team.
- Excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Meeting of tight timelines.
- Critical thinking and analysis.
- Show discretion and good judgment in dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
Education and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education
- Completion of a Law Clerk or Paralegal program is an asset
- Computer literate, with strong skills in the use of MS Office, e-mail, and the internet.
Please send your resume, cover letter, references, and writing sample, if available. We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies, please.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- legal assistant: 1 year (preferred)
- Paralegals, Legal Assistants & Law Clerks: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person