Summary of Position
Cadre’s Transit division offers our clients technical rail service solutions including commissioning and testing of new transit vehicles, warranty repairs, preventative maintenance, and inspection services. Our employees work with the leading Ontario transit suppliers and agencies, ensuring their equipment is available to provide reliable on time service to their passengers in some of North America’s largest transit systems.
Reporting directly to the General Manager and Maintenance Director, the Legal Counsel will develop, implement, monitor, maintain and support the commercial and contractual portfolio of an Infrastructure Ontario P3 project. This includes ongoing oversight and management of all sub-contracts related to the project.
Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide commercially-minded legal advice, guidance, and services to the management team on a variety of day-to-day legal matters including contractual compliance, contract drafting, contract interpretations and employment matters
- Draft, negotiate and manage various procurement and Service Level Agreements
- Manage sub-contractor relationships and claims
- Assess, analyze, and mitigate risk in accordance with the client’s risk profile and tolerance
- Draft and issue commercial correspondence on behalf of the General Manager and Maintenance Director
- Liaise with the Project Company and Construction Company on claims and disputes
- Interface with the Parent Company internal Legal Team regularly
- Initiate and oversee various dispute and risk management claims and procedures, such as warranty claims, variations, and change notices
- Participate in new contract negotiation and procurement policies and processes
- Analyze and interpret the Project Agreement and provide advice and guidance to the management team
- Previous experience practicing law in a large private practice firm or as an in-house counsel for a large construction, transit, or project development organization
- LLB or JD and a member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- Working experience with contract preparation/negotiation, employment matters, and/or work in a commercial environment is a definite asset
- Ability to understand commercial issues quickly, think strategically and exercise good judgement to provide timely and efficient legal advice
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented and a strong attention to detail
Cadre is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all individuals. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all those who apply; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.