Scarfone Hawkins LLP is an established and growing law firm seeking a talented Law Clerk/Legal Assistant to work in the practice area of Family Law. The Family Law Group has quality and diverse files that provide challenging, fast-paced and interesting work in a dynamic, collegial team environment. We pride ourselves on excellence in everything we do, every day. If this matches what you are looking for, come join our team!
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
Additional Hours maybe required based on operational needs
What you will be doing
- Preparing, assembling and organizing legal drafts including, but not limited to, pleadings, discovery and affidavits of documents
- Preparing trial briefs, exhibits and motions as required
- Maintaining document files and case correspondence both physically and electronically
- Organizing and maintaining calendar for key dates and meetings
- Conducting searches as required
- Transcribing digital dictation
- Adhere to all company’s policies, guidelines and statutory/legislative requirements
- Attend and participate in team and supervision meetings
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Who you are
- Completion of a post-secondary Legal Assistant or Law Clerk program
- Minimum of two (2) years experience
- Good understanding of the statutes of Family Law rules and court filing procedures
- Good understanding of legal reference materials, procedures, and legal filing systems.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in MS Word, Divorcemate and Outlook
- Attention to detail
- Excellent oral and writing skills, including proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation for complex documentation
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with litigation support software, tools and database applications an asset
- Solid computer and typing skills; proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products
- Role up your sleeves, proactive & positive attitude
- Recognize and respect people’s diversity, individual differences and perspectives
- Be willing to continuously learn and grow
- Be willing to work independently and part of a team
- Strong time-management, organizational and document/file management skills;
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
What's in it for you:
- Convenient location in the heart of Hamilton’s downtown core, close to restaurants, shops and transportation
- Opportunity to further develop your skills in this hybrid role
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Fantastic office culture
Scarfone Hawkins LLP is committed to diversity, inclusion and accessibility for all persons. We encourages applications from all qualified individuals and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $45,000.00-$50,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Scarfone Hawkins LLP is following all Covid Protocols including having a Vaccination Policy
- Are you comfortable commuting to the location of work?
- Do you have post secondary education in Legal Office Administration or Law Clerk?
- How many years experience do you have working as Legal Assistant/Law Clerk in Family Law/
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Hamilton, ON