Know your farmer, know your food; Hopcott Farms owns almost the entirety of our food raising and processing activities. For over 90 years we have led with ethical, sustainable, and transparent meat raising and processing practices that have made us Vancouver’s most trusted meat supplier. You are our next great abattoir plant manager, who not only embodies those same values, but comes with experience, drive, and a passion for agriculture that will help guide us into our next phase of growth.
What’s for you?
Glory. Glory and bragging rights. But there’s more than just the fame! You will get to be an important and valued part of the (immensely talented) family at a local, family run business that has been internationally recognized for excellence, and you will have the opportunity to practice your craft with pride and confidence that it is being done the right way. You will also enjoy:
· A salary of $75,345 - $80,275 (tell us why you’re at the top!)
· A generous health benefits package that is 100% paid for by us
· 3 weeks of paid vacation per year to stay healthy and charged
· 5 paid sick days per year
· Discounted or free top quality foods
· Company and team events
· Casual dress code
· Onsite parking
**For those interested, an opportunity to rent a private 3 bedroom, 1 bath detached house on the farm may be available at a discounted rate
Diversity is a strength
At Hopcott Farms, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it to the benefit of our team, our community, and our customers. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, will make any accommodations where possible, and encourage applicants, from all walks of life, to apply for this opportunity; we want the best of the best!
Hello, is it you we’re looking for?
With great power comes great responsibility, and we’re not looking for just anyone to run the show! Not only can you manage meat processing and production operations in your sleep, you will be working, shoulder to shoulder with your team, and are exceptional at communicating progress, challenges, and opportunities to your team and to anyone who needs to understand them.
Managing an abattoir requires a unique individual with a unique skillset, who understands its intricacies and brings the best part of themselves each day. Here’s a few of the finer points you bring to the table:
- A minimum of 1-2 years of hands on meat processing experience, preferably in an industrial environment (you’ve walked the walk)
- Physically fit and able to lift, push, and pull weight of up to 50 lbs
- Consistent commitment to working safely and to animal welfare (this one’s a deal-breaker for us)
- Humility – Everyone makes mistakes, nobody can know everything, and there is always the possibility that things can be done better. This is the attitude that the leadership team intentionally brings to work each day, and a quality that the successful candidate for this role will possess, without question!
Here is what an average week will look like for you:
50% of your time will be spent on, and running, the abattoir floor, this includes;
- Playing a significant role in continuing to shape the company culture that makes Hopcott Farms the best place to work through your interactions with your team
- Practicing strategic leadership surrounding continued enhancement of processes and products, finding solutions to problems that arise, creating associated reports
- Taking inventory and ordering materials and supplies as needed
30% of your time will be spent on the production floor, with the hands-on management of people and processes;
- Supervising, coordinating and scheduling your team, who process, package, test and grade the premium foods and beverages created by Hopcott Farms
- Personally training staff and managing their safety
- Active daily facility and equipment inspection and ensuring compliance with food safety and production compliance, and ‘best practice’ standards
20% of your time will be spent processing animals;
- Humane slaughter of livestock using air-compressed devices and cutting tools
- Skinning, cleaning and trimming
- Removal of inedible parts
- Splitting into smaller portions for further cutting, processing and packaging
- Removal of bones
- Cutting and packaging meat for commercial use
- A degree, technical training, certification, or license, in a related field, will give you a leg up!
You still here?
Great! It sounds like you might be Hopcott Farms material. If you were nodding your head throughout this posting, then shoot us your resume and a quick note or a short video explaining why hiring you is a win-win - [email protected]
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $75,275.00-$80,345.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Beef slaughter: 1 year (required)
- Meat processing: 1 year (preferred)
- People management: 2 years (preferred)
- Beef Butchery: 1 year (required)
Work Location: In person