As a recognized national business law firm, we support, grow, and impact our communities through our work. We help entrepreneurs, companies, and professionals shape and build the Canadian economy.
When you start a career with Miller Thomson, you join a firm that puts its people first. We provide the opportunity to influence the course of your career, community, and workplace with the support and backing of a national organization. While teamwork and collaboration are hallmarks of our culture, we accept and encourage individuality. You can expect a friendly, safe, and supportive environment where your colleagues will rally around to help you succeed.
Find the spark that will propel your career to new heights. Apply today to join a firm that is dedicated to you.
Thank you for your interest in working with Miller Thomson LLP. In anticipation of future career opportunities at Miller Thomson, this posting will enable you to submit your application and be first in line for future career opportunities.
We encourage you to APPLY now!
We offer Legal Assistant opportunities across all of our Practice Groups; these roles can be based out of any of our offices nationally:
Administrative Law: Environmental Law, Health, Immigration and Labour & Employment
Business Law: Capital Markets & Securities, Corporate, Financial Services, Insolvency, Intellectual Property and Mergers & Acquisitions
Litigation: Commercial, Constructions, Estates & Trusts, Family Law and Insurance Defence
Real Estate: Condominium Development and Governance, Commercial and Residential Transactions, Land Development, Municipal Law and Leasing
Tax: Charities & Not-for-Profit, Corporate Tax, Litigation and Private Client Services
Legal Assistants provide support to a group of lawyers who specialize in one of these areas. While previous experience would be helpful, candidates with strong organization skills, a keen attention to detail and a desire to develop valuable skills as a Legal Assistant are welcome to apply.
- Provides administrative support which includes proofreading, revision and preparation of documentation under the instruction of the legal professionals and transcription of data from various sources (e.g. voicemail, dictation, etc.).
- Acts as a liaison between relevant internal and/or external parties. Routes or answers routine correspondence to relevant parties.
- Provides clerical, administrative and general office support including, but not limited to, photocopying, faxing, scheduling and calendar management, receives/places phone calls with internal and/or external parties, mail, organizes travel arrangements, and scans PDF documents.
- Provides administrative support with respect to accounting and billing as required. This includes review of pre-bills, making corrections or advising Accounting to make corrections and mailing out final bill under a cover letter. Prepares expense requisitions etc.
- Maintains files in accordance with standard procedures, including opening and closing files, conflict searches, etc.
- Other business related duties as assigned.
What you'll bring:
- Community College Certificate/Diploma in a Legal Secretarial/Office Administration program and/or equivalent experience working in a legal professional environment.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite 2013.
- Knowledge of the English language, including spelling, word meaning and word usage.
- Exceptional client service skills.
- Organizational skills required to effectively multi-task.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Knowledge of legal procedures and practices.
- Communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a number of individuals.
- Writing skills necessary to draft and proofread documents and correspondence.
- Detail-oriented in order to keep track of multiple files for more than one legal professional.
- Knowledge in Accounting software.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to follow instructions and attention to detail.
- Ability to demonstrate independent judgment and solve problems.
What we offer:
We believe in the importance of a Total Compensation package, ensuring our mix of salary, benefits, and perks are competitive within the market as well as a work-life balance. We offer:
- A comprehensive Benefits package that includes Health, Dental and Vision Care, Employee Assistance Program, Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance, 3+ Weeks’ Vacation and 10 Personal Days;
- A Diverse and Inclusive Workplace;
- Flexible working options;
- Maternity Leave Top-up;
- A Firm matching Group Retirement Savings plan;
- An individual TFSA with low fund management fees and competitive investment options;
- Employee Assistance Program to support you and your family;
- A wellness spending account to foster employee well-being;
- Professional Development opportunities;
- Employee appreciation events;
- Charitable giving programs.
Who we are:
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada’s fastest-growing national business law firms, with strategically placed offices across the country. Our consistent ability to provide practical, creative and cost-effective advice, combined with an unyielding service commitment to our clients and a strong dedication to our lawyers, business services professionals and the communities in which we practice, gives us a unique position in the Canadian legal industry.
Miller Thomson LLP is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually, and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies, please.
Miller Thomson will provide accommodation on request throughout the recruitment, selection and assessment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation, please inform our Talent department of the nature of the accommodation that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.