Are you looking for more than a job? At World Vision Canada we offer challenging careers that change the lives of children all over the world and it will change yours too. Come and be part of a team of 400 Canadians with a vision for the world: Life in all its fullness for every child.
You will experience Christian faith in action helping to make real and lasting change in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children. Join the World Vision Canada team and be part of a powerful and effective force for good:
For Children. For Change. For Life.
Corporate Finance Accountant
Manager, Corporate Finance
Full Time Temporary (12 Months)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Hybrid within the GTA
This is an exciting opportunity for an accountant who has a passion for the mission in the field, excellence in accounting and reporting, and a team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for an accountant who has an eye for detail to ensure that transactions are recorded in a timely, accurate and relevant manner and in accordance with Canadian GAAP. This position covers tasks including expense report reviews, journal entries, and account reconciliations on a daily basis, while significantly supporting the month-end/year-end processes.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Corporate Financial Accounting (70%)
- Processing of all financial transactions in a timely and accurate manner in accordance with schedules and deadlines established by the organization.
- Completion of account reconciliations on a monthly basis in accordance with schedules and deadlines established by the organization.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of financial results through monthly coordination of tasks across the organization that affect the month-end (e.g. reconcile intercompany settlement revenue & expense transactions with World Vision International (WVI)) and through performing key journal entries including monthly bank fees, depreciation, intercompany transactions, gift-in-kind (GIK) revenue & grants, grants funding wire transfer payment.
- Uphold key financial controls to ensure integrity of financial reporting and the safe keeping of financial resources through review and analysis of material transactions, review and reconciliation of World Vision’s asset accounts, including capital assets, Endowment Fund, and Intercompany receivable/payable.
- Ensure smooth and excellent audit results, along with the external auditors and internal team, through the management and preparation of proper and timely audit working papers in accordance to audit schedules.
- Comply in a timely manner to requests from the external auditors regarding audit testing, queries on accounting transactions, etc.
- Respond and alert management to any potential issues that need to be dealt with during the critical weeks of the audit.
- Assist with the preparation of journal entries for GIK & multilateral grant revenue to ensure proper valuation and documentation in place and recognize as revenue in the proper period.
- Reconcile monthly funding commitment with WVC and WVI general ledgers to ensure any discrepancy are investigated and resolved in a timely manner.
- Update the funding commitment hedging schedule after the trades are confirmed by WVI global treasury.
- Prepare & manage trust and endowment funds, ensuring interest payments are processed timely and accurately.
Cash Flow Projections
- Prepare cashflow forecast & monitor cash, restricted funds and cheque in transit of our major bank accounts including Canadian & foreign currencies to ensure sufficient funds are maintained to cover daily expenditures and end of year cashflow requirement.
- Manage, maintain, and reconcile the fixed asset sub-ledger ensuring all categories and depreciation rates have been set up correctly, that transactions have been posted accurately into their appropriate categories, and that depreciation is recorded each month in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prepare monthly fixed asset report showing spend to date, committed and budgeted amounts.
- Prepare annual depreciation budget and update capital assets projections for the budget process.
2. Travel and Expense, and Accounts Payable Processing Back-up (25%)
- Assist with the audit and processing of Travel and Expense claims, ensuring that all are processed in a timely manner.
- Assist with monitoring the timely completion of expense reports by staff members and following up with those who are delinquent.
- Booking of monthly travel & expense report accruals, payments of corporate cards.
- Prepare reconciliation of both out of pocket expense and corporate cards payable account on a monthly basis.
- Provide ongoing training to staff on the travel and expense submission processing and reimbursement policy.
- Provide recommendation to management to review and update the Organization reimbursement policy.
- Assist with processing vendor invoices as the need arises.
3. Other duties (5%)
- Prepare annual statutory tax filing of T3, T4A & T5 related for the trust fund and endowment fund.
- Contribute regularly to financial processes efficiency, increased financial control, and to accommodate changes in accounting policies and regulations or technology.
Advantageous qualifications to have:
- University or college degree, preferably in accounting or business field.
- Minimum 1 year experience in corporate financial accounting and reporting, particularly with month-end close, journal entries, and account reconciliations.
- Superior communication skills both written and verbal, and the ability to work well with diverse groups and other stakeholders, including staff from overseas World Vision offices.
- Detail-oriented, problem solving and analytical skills to apply to business and accounting related issues.
- Process-oriented and innovative thinker who is able to aid in ongoing process improvement. Strong computer skills with proficiency in Excel.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with an ability to meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to work and engage in a team environment, but also the ability to work independently, being self-motivated to meet various deadlines.
- Professional qualification, e.g. CPA, CIMA, ACCA.
- Knowledge and understanding of current Canadian GAAP specifically as it relates to the not-for-profit sector.
- Experience with accounting software (Microsoft Dynamics Finance & Operations).
We bring life-saving support in times of disaster. We help poor communities to take charge of their futures. We provide small loans and training that boost family livelihoods. We work with policy makers to change the way the world is run. Our Christian faith teaches us that every child, regardless of gender, faith or race, is a precious gift to the entire world - and that their wellbeing concerns us all. We shall never rest while children suffer in situations that can be changed.
Canada's Top 100 Employers GTA Top 100 Employers
Our Core Values:
We are committed to the Poor. We are Christian. We are Stewards. We value People. We are Partners. We are Responsive.
Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate a commitment to the core values and mission of the World Vision partnership.
World Vision Canada takes our Safeguarding responsibilities seriously and we provide an environment that is safe for our child and adult beneficiaries. We have strong recruitment procedures to make sure the safest and most suitable people work with the children in our programs. We provide our staff and volunteers with ongoing supervision, support and training in their work with child and adult beneficiaries.
World Vision Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Thank you for your interest; however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.