SENIOR CREDIT ANALYST - ENERGY, NATURAL RESOURCES AND RENEWABLES (ENRR) (JOB NUMBER: GBA-280723-001-MN)
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal's Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
The candidate will be part of North America Coverage which is responsible for cross-selling an array of the firm's services across strategically targeted corporate clients in various business sectors. The Energy, Natural Resources and Renewables (ENRR) coverage group manages a number of clients ranging from utilities, independent power producers, renewables developers, to firms engaged in the production, processing, storage, transportation, marketing, trading and distribution of a wide range of commodities. The Credit Management team supports the bankers to ensure all counterparty risk issues for the client base are addressed.
- Monitor the credit quality of a portfolio of assigned client names in the ENRR portfolio, including investment-grade, high yield and sponsor-owned clients. This includes periodic review of borrower financial statements, press releases, news articles, industry information, rating reports, peer analysis, etc.
- Prepare credit proposals for assigned portfolio to be included in annual reviews, facility renewals, amendments, waivers, watch list reports, refinancing, and underwritings of new clients. Sound modeling skills and ability to analyze various legal documentation are required.
- Coordinate the credit process with the relevant coverage, product and risk teams to ensure an efficient turnaround of transactions.
- Create and maintain client exposure and internal risk ratings using bank rating methodologies.
- Participate in client calls (including bank meetings) as needed for due diligence on assigned client names.
- Maintain reporting related to portfolio including deal flow, exposure tracking, and other general reports.
- Interact with internal and external auditors during loan examinations.
- Interact with other bank branches to coordinate information on group or contributor strategies.
- Strong interaction with Risk Corporate, Coverage (Relationship Management) and Product Teams (FX, Derivatives, DCM, Syndications, Project Finance, etc.).
- Mentor juniors and be a team player supporting and working with other team members, bringing value and contributing to the success of the team.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
- 6+ year’s prior experience in a corporate banking environment (or equivalent).
- Understanding of the energy sector (power and utilities, oil & gas, project holdcos, etc.) and general banking practices.
- Solid understanding of deal structuring and legal documentation.
- Strong Excel skills, financial analysis – including projection modeling.
- Ability to multi-task in order to meet multiple deadlines; ability to work under quick turnaround times as needed in live deal transactions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting or other similar areas.
- Good verbal and written communication skills; professionalism in dealing with Senior Bankers (Director and above) on a daily basis.
- Self-Starter with ability to take initiative when working alone or with peers.
- Knowledge of the English language is required.
- Previous experience projection modeling of companies in the Independent Power Producers (IPPs) and/or project holdcos space.
- Experience with M&A transactions, LBO financing a plus.
- Formal credit training, Rating Agency experience a plus.
- CFA or MBA a plus.
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2023
- Canada's Best Diversity Employer 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified - Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada | Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **