Amendment: The job ad has been re-posted and changed to an Open competition, and the closing date has been extended.
Do you have civil litigation experience, excellent communication skills and a high degree of tact, initiative, judgement and courtesy?
Are you interested in working in a high pressure environment where you will be required to set priorities, meet conflicting demands, produce accurate work, and communicate with court officials, opposing counsel, and clients with minimal supervision? If yes, consider this exciting opportunity with the Crown Law Office - Civil, Ministry of the Attorney General.
Crown Law Office - Civil (CLOC) is responsible for providing litigation and advisory services to various government bodies. CLOC has almost 100 counsel and opens on average 1,300 new files a year. The members of the advisory services group act as solicitors for the ministry of the Attorney General and also provide legal advice to other ministries and agencies on a broad spectrum of legal issues with government-wide significance. Counsel in the litigation services group provide legal representation of the Crown, its ministries, agencies, boards and commissions in a wide variety of matters involving issues of public importance in all levels of courts.
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy
and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint
pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code
. Refer to the "How to apply" section if you require a disability-related accommodation.
- Be assigned to one or more civil litigation practice areas (Personal Injury, Carriage of Motions for Third-Party Records, Indigenous Litigation, Class Actions, Corporate Commercial Litigation, Public Law Litigation)
- Gather, assess and catalogue evidence
- Communicate with clients, witnesses, and opposing counsel
- Draft pleadings, correspondence, affidavits and lists of documents
- Prepare for and attend examinations for discovery, motions, pre-trials and inquests
- Organize large document intensive cases
- Docket time using case management software
- Ability to type 50 words per minute
- You have legal office administration and clerical experience
- You have the ability to interpret and apply relevant statutes and legislation, such as Rules of Civil Procedure, to provide law clerk support and research services to Counsel
- You have knowledge of legal terminology to prepare civil legal documents
- You can produce work accurately in a high pressure environment
- You can set priorities to meet conflicting demands
- You can assist clients in resolving issues
- You have effective communication skills to deal tactfully with various stakeholders to explain legal procedures and documents
- You have demonstrated written communication skills to select and use appropriate legal terminology, style and format in preparing legal documents
- Demonstrated proficiency including ability to create and modify documents using Microsoft Suite, e.g Excel, WORD, and ADOBE