Location: Toronto-661 University
Department: Employee, Legal Office
The Legal Counsel will support the work of Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary. Generally, the Legal Counsel will serve as first point of contact for staff, managers and directors on a variety of issues.
- Draft, negotiate and review contracts with a focus on corporate matters which include procurement, information technology, privacy/data sharing and research.
- Advise on the interpretation and application of various administrative, regulatory and governance requirements which apply to PHO.
- Provide legal education opportunities to the business and supporting corporate procurement activities.
- Establish and maintain processes/templates/tools to facilitate consistent application of legal advice and incorporating legal risk into the business processes related to procurement, laboratory operations, and research activities.
- Provide insight in the development of internal policies as it pertains to legal requirements, and ensure compliance with PHO’s governance requirements.
- Provide Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary support with Board of Directors, as required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Substantive knowledge in the area of procurement, privacy law and/or data sharing agreements utilized in the healthcare sector is an asset.
- Excellent writing and negotiation skills are required to prepare, review and negotiate contracts and other legal documents on behalf of the organization.
- Proven ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines with changing and competing demands.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
Education and Experience
- Membership in good standing as a lawyer with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Minimum 5 years corporate/commercial legal experience, preferably in the public and/or healthcare sector.
- Experience supporting a business by reviewing business practices and developing, implementing and operationalizing change to optimize lifecycles of transactional activities is an asset.
- Experience with government decision-making processes and procedures is preferred.
Attributes and Competencies
- Ability to simply communicate legal concepts and risks to business clients is required.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrated analytical capabilities.
- Strong skills in developing and sustaining effective collaborative professional working partnerships and relationships.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience in leading by example, exercising sound judgment in interpersonal engagements, displaying integrity and emotional intelligence in decision-making and prioritizing respect and authenticity in relationships.
- Skilled in building, supporting and inspiring multidisciplinary team members with varied expertise and experience.
Hours of Work: Full time, 36.25 hours per week
Compensation Group: Senior Leadership
Posting Date: 09-25-2023
Closing Date: 10-10-2023
Please note: applications will be received no later than 11:59pm on the date preceding the closing date as indicated on the Job Requisition.
Note: Internal candidates will be considered first.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted. Any information obtained during the course of recruitment will be used for employment recruitment purposes only, and not for any other purpose.
PHO is committed to ensuring equity in employment. Our goal is to create a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to ensure our services and communications are accessible to all individuals. Any candidate who requires a job posting in an alternative format may email a request to [email protected]. Once an applicant has been selected for an interview, they can inform PHO about any accommodations they may require at any stage of the interview process.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Toronto, ON M5G 1M1