ALS provides a broad range of testing and analytical services to a wide variety of end markets and industries around the globe. We continue to remain a leader in the testing services industry and have established a distinguished reputation for providing best in class results and client services.
ALS Geochemistry, Yellowknife
Director, Western Canada Operations
About the Position:
This position is responsible for the overall management of the branch and personnel for the ALS Geochemistry sample preparation facility in Yellowknife.
- Responsible for managing all aspects of the sample preparation facility including production, workflow coordination, troubleshooting and sample logistics;
- Ensure productivity requirements are achieved in a safe and sustainable manner;
- Meet or exceed all financial targets; including ROS, EBIT, Net Revenue and TEC;
- Effectively manage human resources on site including recruiting, performance management, employee relations, attendance promotion and staff scheduling;
- Promote a safety culture by communicating and upholding ALS Group health, safety & environment policies and programs;
- Responsible for ensuring sample preparation quality and supporting all quality program mandates including routine checks, resolving quality issues in a timely manner; participating in audits and maintaining all required quality documentation;
- Personally exemplify the ALS core values and fosters a workplace culture that reflects these values;
- Actively encourage and support employee engagement through corporately developed or local initiatives and solicits employee input on making ALS a great place to work;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proven ability to improve efficiencies and meet production schedules;
- Ability to lead and motivate a team;
- Understanding of Health & Safety Standards;
- Excellent command of the English language, strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong customer service focus, interpersonal and organizational abilities;
- Demonstrated judgment, creativity, integrity and ability to problem solve;
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint and Visio;
- Ability to effectively handle escalations and time critical issues.
- Minimum of 3 years management or supervisory experience in a production, manufacturing, industrial or laboratory environment;
- Post-Secondary Education (Diploma or Degree in Geological or Chemical Sciences preferred);
- Previous experience in the Mining industry, Minerals analysis, geology industries preferred.
- Ability to regularly lift up to 20 pounds;
- Ability to stand for up to a full shift;
- Ability to sit at a desk and do general office work, which includes periodic sedentary responsibilities;
- Ability to work in dusty environment;
- Ability to travel on occasion for training and other business-related activities;
- Please note that ALS operates 24/7 and will require day, afternoon, and graveyard shift work including weekends.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued. We therefore encourage applications from all individuals; particularly women, First Nations, people with disabilities and visible minorities.
ALS also welcomes applications from people with all levels of ability. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.