Reporting to the Simulation Development and Software Architect Section Head, the incumbent will assist in supporting new designs and development of the PSCAD family of products and related tools of the Power Systems Technology Centre (PTC), a department of Manitoba Hydro International Ltd. (MHI).
- Responsible for specific projects in terms of development, testing and implementation of advanced simulation methodologies in software, as well as the general development, maintenance, testing, and documentation of the PSCAD family of product simulation software as new technology is introduced.
- Work as part of the development team to meet the strategic aims of PTC. This may involve interfacing with other expert resources both at PTC and externally to develop new simulation technologies.
- Maintain and update expertise on power systems simulation methodologies as applied to AC, DC, power electronics, and related fields.
- Assist in maintaining in-house and user technical support activities such as the online help system, FAQ and the PSCAD family of product manuals.
- Provide technical support to clients according to defined processes, including client support services training on how to apply advanced methods to custom simulation and studies.
- Act as a technical resource for the advanced simulation methodologies personnel by assisting in exploring and establishing the prototypes for advanced computing methodologies.
- Act as a technical resource for the personnel of engineering simulation technologies by creating solutions to meet their needs.
- Act as a technical expert in advanced software simulation methods and work with the PSCAD family of product lead personnel to develop sustainable processes that include both engineering and software synergies.
- Assist the marketing support staff in technical problems and maintenance of documentation.
- A four-year degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering with a minimum of 3 years of directly related experience
- A M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering would be considered an asset.
- Strong knowledge of C++ and C# (.Net) as well as some knowledge of Fortran 90 and 95 standards along with ability to adapt to general programming languages is essential.
- Experience working in Linux and Windows environments for software development would be an asset.
- High Performance Computing or Parallel Processing experience would be an asset.
- Experience with cloud computing such as AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc. would be an asset.
- Knowledge of configuration of networking technologies along with moderate experience in managed and un-managed high-end Switches would be an asset.
- Knowledge of software security aspects would be considered an asset.
- Demonstrated abilities in software planning and development, advanced computing techniques, implementation methods, testing and verification processes, and simulation technologies.
- Must be self-motivated and have strong interpersonal and communication skills. Be capable of working closely with the Simulation Development and Software Architect Manager to create new designs and implementation for advancing existing simulation technologies as well as introduce new ones.
- Must possess a valid class 5 Province of Manitoba Drivers License and current Passport. Incumbent may be required to travel both domestic and international for short durations for related industry training, meetings and conferences.
Your Career at MHI:
- International business experience including opportunities to communicate directly with diverse clients from all over the world.
- Task variety – no day is ever the same.
- Being given a high level of responsibility and autonomy for your own work.
- Competitive salaries.
- Nine-day work cycle which normally results in every other Monday off
- Hybrid work schedule, option to work remotely on Mondays and Wednesdays
- Flex time options
- Paid out vacation time and over time.
- Free parking.
- Enjoy working in a friendly and relaxed corporate culture.
Manitoba Hydro International Ltd.
Manitoba Hydro International Ltd. (MHI) provides innovative solutions to help customers in the energy sector. We are a subsidiary of one of Canada’s most highly regarded energy utilities, Manitoba Hydro, and proudly bring over a century’s worth of utility best practice experience and our global expertise to every customer we serve. For more information, visit mhi.ca
PSCAD™/EMTDC™ allows you to build, simulate, and model your systems with ease, providing limitless possibilities in power system simulation. Our technical team provides consulting services, expert advice, and in-depth training and technical support on electromagnetic transient (EMT) studies. Clients have depended on our expertise for over 40 years, making PSCAD™/EMTDC™ simulation software the longest-standing, industry leading transient study tool today. For more information, visit pscad.com.
Work Location: 211 Commerce Drive, Winnipeg, MB, R3P 1A3
Term: Two Years
Co-op Position Title: Software Developer
Positions Available: One
Hours Worked: 8:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. (8 hours/day on a 9-day bi-weekly cycle) (Hybrid Work Model)
Note: This position may require travel by air, and you will be required to confirm that you are able to meet Transport Canada’s requirements for air travel, as they may be amended from time to time.
Qualified candidates with a commitment to excellence and a desire to join a winning team are invited to apply with a resume and cover letter by the closing date of October 6, 2023.
We thank you for your interest and will contact you if you are selected for an interview.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 24 months
Salary: $72,009.22-$99,677.73 per year
- On-site parking
- Work from home
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Winnipeg, MB R3P 1A3: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Winnipeg, MB R3P 1A3
Application deadline: 2023-10-06