Position: Public Legal Counsel (Prince Albert, SK)
Reports to: Senior Public Legal Counsel (Regina, SK)
Position Type: Out of Scope
Employment Terms: Full-time
Duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension or becoming permanent
Compensation: $83,000 - $90,000 depending on experience and year of call, 4 weeks vacation, monthly EDO, employer matched pension, and a competitive non-profit sector benefit package
Application Process: Email resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Apply By: 11:59 pm (CST), October 23, 2023
The Prince Albert Public Legal Counsel is a lawyer providing services to people incarcerated in provincial and federal prisons in Prince Albert.
The successful candidate will provide legal services and education relating to the mandate of the
John Howard Society of Saskatchewan.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Representing imprisoned clients in administrative proceedings, including discipline hearings, security level reviews, and parole hearings, among others.
- Occasionally representing clients in the Court of King’s Bench or Federal Court of Canada on judicial review, where files have the potential for systemic impact.
- Coordinating with other JHSS programs to ensure efficient and effective service delivery.
- Helping to answer questions received through the JHSS institutional support line.
- Assisting in the development of JHSS policy positions.
- Delivering professional development sessions to members of the legal community on relevant prison law topics.
Based at the JHSS Prince Albert Office, this lawyer will work closely with Prince Albert staff and the Director of Judicial Programs Saskatoon. They will report to the Senior Public Legal Counsel at Provincial Office and will at times be asked to advise the senior management team.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Laws degree (LLB) or Juris Doctor degree (JD) from a faculty of common law at a Canadian university or Certificate of Equivalency issued by the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA).
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Saskatchewan.
- Successful track record practicing law with a strong client focus.
Assets and Attributes
- At least two years of previous work in administrative and/or criminal law.
- Work experience in the non-profit sector.
- Ability to travel.
- Integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission and vision of JHSS.
- Flexible work style and an effective team player.
The successful candidate will be required to provide criminal record and vulnerable sector checks prior to employment start date, completed within the previous 6 months.
The John Howard Society of Saskatchewan is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our communities and workplace hiring. We encourage applications from members or groups with historical or current barriers to equity.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the John Howard Society of Saskatchewan, however, only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.
This position is made possible by a grant from the Law Foundation of Saskatchewan.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $83,000.00-$90,000.00 per year
Flexible Language Requirement:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Moose Jaw, SK S6H 2E9: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Certificate of Standing (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-22