Waddell Phillips PC is a dynamic and growing litigation boutique in downtown Toronto. Recognized by its peers as leading litigators in a broad spectrum of practice areas, the firm is looking for a new member to join the team to help us provide the best service to our diverse client base.
We are currently hiring for a hybrid Legal Administrative Assistant/Law Clerk role. The successful applicant will be working directly with the junior partners of the firm on a broad range of exciting civil litigation and class action cases. Applicants must have a minimum of five years litigation experience.
Key Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
· Preparing, drafting and revising correspondence, agreements and court documents.
· Arranging for service of materials to opposing counsel.
· Electronic Court filings, and co-ordination with process servers.
· Preparing and coordinating materials for meetings, mediations, hearings, and trials.
· Liaising with various Courts, Boards, Mediators and Arbitrators.
· Responding to inquiries from class members.
· Implementing and maintaining practice management systems.
· Assisting litigation clerks and other team members as may be required.
· Opening and closing files.
· Addressing billing inquiries and liaising with the office manager.
· Undertaking additional responsibilities as required.
· Legal Administrative Assistant Diploma from a recognized college required.
· Minimum of 5 years of experience as a Legal Administrative Assistant in Litigation.
· Highly organized, and able to provide executive-level administrative support to senior lawyers.
· Strong knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure, court systems and filing processes.
· Class action experience preferred, but not required.
· Strong technical skills, with proficiency with MS Word, Outlook, Excel, CaseLines, M365, ACL, Ghostpractice.
· Ability to handle more than one professional, with complicated and unique files.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, and with competing priorities and filing deadlines.
· Ability to communicate in a professional, efficient manner with clients, opposing counsel, courts and service providers, as well as internally throughout the firm.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, including a strong knowledge of grammar and exceptional spelling and proofreading abilities, and general attention to detail.
· Highly organized, team player with the ability to work under pressure and deal with changing priorities.
Waddell Phillips recognizes and honours our obligation to promote principles of equity, diversity and inclusion. We are committed to building a workplace that upholds and affirms these principles. We welcome and value applications from people of all backgrounds and identities. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $65,000.00-$75,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Supplemental pay types:
- Legal Assistant: 8 years (preferred)
Work Location: In person