BWXT Canada Ltd. is a world leader in design, engineering, manufacture, construction and service of nuclear power generation equipment. As a supplier of innovative, high-quality nuclear components and services we cater to a worldwide customer base. We take great pride in supplying highly engineered solutions that allow our customers to compete within the complex nuclear power generation industry.
We are recruiting for a Corporate Lawyer (12 to 18 month Contract with Benefits) for our office in Cambridge, Ontario.
To participate in the handling of matters on behalf of the Company having legal implications including, without limitation, preparation and review of binding agreements to be entered into by the Company, retaining, interacting with and supervising outside counsel, advising the Company on all matter with possible legal implications and providing analytical and legal problem solving expertise. This position reports to the Assistant General Counsel, Legal (Canada).
- Review proposal, contract terms and conditions, bid and performance bonds and letters of credit requirements, providing recommendations, clarifications and exceptions and identifying risks.
- Document the approvals required forcontract deviations along with specific clarifications, exceptions and Company standard terms and conditions.
- Support request for deviations from corporate contracting guidelines and take responsibility for completeness of commercial response to bid documents.
- Draft and present clearly written legal documents (e.g. contracts, purchase orders, leases, licenses, non-disclosure agreements, letters, etc.) to management, with risks within the Company’s limits of risk tolerance.
- Engage in negotiations of legal/commercial terms and conditions using discretion in revising contract clauses within contracting guideline requirements.
- Ensure advice to management is up-to-date, including apprising management of relevant changes to the law and the enactment of new laws and regulations.
- Perform independent research and analysis of statutes, regulations and case law, including, if necessary, discussion with outside legal specialists.
Legal Dispute Management
- Manage and provide Company insight/perspective for resolution of legal disputes in a manner most beneficial to the Company.
- Provide assistance in resolving disputes and recommend settlement positions.
- Participate in settlement negotiations.
- Take the lead in litigation management and co-ordination with outside legal counsel.
- Provide guidance on legal requirements related to Company imports/exports of information and goods.
- Ensure management is aware of and is properly implementing corporate administrative policies and procedures, particularly those newly instituted.
- Review and, if necessary, publicize administrative policies and procedures.
- Have nowledge and understanding of Company contracting guidelines, overall corporate reporting structure, relation to affiliated companies, as well as policies and procedures.
- Assist in preparing non-disclosure agreements.
- Review advertising and promotional material and advise Public Relations Dept. of any prejudicial and/or confidential content.
- Assist and advise an implementation of company’s Proprietary Information policy, including providing direction for obtaining necessary approvals for disclosure to customers and suppliers.
Best Practice Initiation
- Participate in continuing legal education seminars.
- Provide direction to administrative staff.
- Ensure the product of the Legal Department reflects sound judgment and conformity to best legal and administrative practices.
- Ensure BWXT employees are conversant with basic legal principles relevant to their jobs and the conduct of the Company’s business.
- Provide training, including preparing and presenting seminars, to employees on legal/commercial issues.
- University degree in Law (LLB or equivalent), Bar admission plus 3 to 6 years of varied commercial (construction and/or manufacturing preferred) legal work experience in either a private law firm or similar corporate legal department.
- Up-to-date and in-depth knowledge of contract law; familiarity with tort law, construction law, intellectual property law and insurance concepts; sensitivity to issues of tax law, employment law, competition law and landlord/tenant acts; Knowledge of nuclear liability and nuclear liability protection regimes would be beneficial.
- Some knowledge of various financial instruments including bonds and letters of credit.
- Some knowledge of the scope of activities and the internal workings of the various company departments.
WHY JOIN BWXT?:
- Work within the growing and exciting nuclear industry as well as with highly skilled employees!
- Competitive salaries
- Competitive Health and Dental benefits including paramedical practitioners
- Employee & Family Assistance Program
- Flex time
- Life insurance
We thank you for your interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
BWXT Canada is committed to fostering an accessible, fair, and inclusive environment where all employees are able to access goods while being respected and supported. If you require accommodations during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made. If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact Human Resources.
BWXT Canada Ltd. embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability, or any other category protected by provincial law.