BIS Safety Software is a fast-paced, high-growth software company providing solutions for the safety industry. We are expanding our team and seeking an experienced, full-time legal professional to join us. This individual will be responsible for reducing risk and ensuring compliance with privacy, employment, and other relevant laws and regulations on a company-wide level, as well as the preparation and amendment of contracts for our clients and vendors.
The ideal candidate for this position:
- Has strong legal drafting skills
- Possesses strong research, verbal, and written communication skills
- Inspires trust by being open, honest and direct in communications
- Has a proven track record meeting commitments and demonstrating integrity
- Acting independently, can research and arrive at conclusions and/or recommendations based on the exercise of good judgment
- Exhibits a high level of competence and has excellent problem-solving skills
- Is highly adaptable, demonstrating the ability to work within a team or independently, and respond quickly to changing business priorities and needs
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Managing third-party contracts, including reviewing third-party contract terms, identifying any concerns (e.g. financial, operational, practical), drafting proposed amendments, ensuring the company and all team members are compliant with the contract requirements, and managing renewals, including negotiating new terms
- Drafting, reviewing, filling out, and managing issuance and renewal of corporate client contracts, ensuring internal compliance with their terms (e.g. accounting practices, software development, customer support), as well as reviewing all client-proposed amendments and taking part in client meetings to explain when proposed terms are rejected or modified
- Building and monitoring corporate compliance practices and controls
- Developing and continuously improving upon training materials used to educate all team members about regulatory obligations (e.g. privacy legislation), legal obligations (e.g. internal and third-party contract terms), operational obligations (e.g. SOC compliance) and risk management controls
- Monitoring evolving legislation, court/regulatory decisions, and industry best practices to ensure that the organization adequately manages regulatory compliance
- Be licensed and in good standing to practice law in Alberta
- Have a successful track record of at least 5 years of commercial legal experience, gained in-house or with a well-regarded law firm
Why join us?
At BIS, we pride ourselves in being very entrepreneurial in nature. Our office is an open environment that lends itself to collaboration and organic learning. We integrate new ideas and best practices quickly when they further the development our software and company. This flexibility is a key part of our culture and a reflection of our insightful and collaborative team.
Another key part of our culture is our purposeful avoidance of titles. We don’t use titles as they don’t reflect the value we place in humility. In our eyes, all team members are valuable, everyone is willing to help accomplish goals, and everyone is driven to take their role one step further, so we don’t need titles!
We'd love to hear from you
If this describes you, please submit your résumé and cover letter in confidence through this posting. Please include your phone and email contact information with your submission.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- Law Firm or In-house Legal: 7 years (required)
- membership in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta (required)
Work Location: In person