Senior Counsel, Legal Operations
Assist the leasing, development teams and in-house legal counsel in all aspects of drafting legal documents, including but not limited to: leases, lease extensions/amendments, other ancillary lease documents, LOIs, demand letters, etc.
- Draft leases, in accordance with lease request forms submitted by leasing associates; and/or incorporate terms of an executed offer to lease or LOI into Landlord’s precedent lease form and forward to Tenant for review;
- Negotiate proposed amendments to the draft lease with the tenant and/or its solicitor, with input from leasing associates and in-house legal counsel;
- Draft lease amendments, ancillary lease documents and lease enforcement correspondence including but not limited to, notices of default and lease termination letters for existing tenants.
- Ongoing updating of (i) tenant precedent lease forms, (ii) landlord standard forms and (iii) landlord precedent clauses;
- Diarize important dates to ensure that deadlines are met with respect to non-disturbance agreements and estoppel certificates;
- Prepare and negotiate non-disturbance agreements between tenants and mortgagees;
- Collect relevant information required to prepare and provide executed estoppel certificates to Landlord from tenants in a shopping centre for a permanent financing or sale transaction;
- Review notices of lease prepared by tenants, ensure the notice accurately reflects the terms of the Lease, and arrange for Landlord’s execution of same;
- Liaise with Leasing, Development, Finance, Accounting and Construction departments as required;
- Maintain and update databases with respect to the status of leases; ;
- Field inquiries with respect to leases as they arise;
- Review leases to facilitate the preparation of reference material in support of corporate initiatives;
- Attend regular departmental meetings;
- Report daily on status of workload and communicate regularly with manager;
- Answer special requests from in-house legal counsel, leasing associates and/or lease administration team as they arise;
- Formal Paralegal training & college diploma;
- Additional designation and/or certification an asset.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in lease administration and Real Estate document drafting;
- Experience in drafting leases based on submitted lease particulars and preparing/negotiating amendments and other ancillary documentation;
- Must be very familiar with lease terminology;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate across all levels within, as well as outside the organization;
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel;
- Ability to handle multiple priorities effectively;
- Detail-oriented, highly organized and excellent time management skills.
The Lease Administrator must be client focused, advocate and communicate a positive image of the company, both internally and externally. The Lease Administrator shall take accountability for decisions made and conduct oneself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the company’s interests. The Lease Administrator shall demonstrate entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. Lease Administrator is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goal.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are contacted about an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.