Reports To: Store Manager
PURPOSE: The Barista provides an excellent customer experience at every point of interaction. This includes upholding company standards for customer service, clean and safe environment, freshness and condition of quality products, shop-able shelves, full merchandise utilization, efficient workflow and productive work pace. Working side-by-side with other staff, the barista will contribute to the customer enjoyment and the employee productivity of the café. The barista links every action to customer enjoyment, staff productivity and business results. The barista is guided by the Java Blend vision and Core Values.
Essential Job Functions:
Work productively through hands-on involvement of processing transactions, preparing beverages and food, cleaning the café areas. May work in assigned jobs or rotate through jobs. Train and coach product output quality and volume, store cleanliness standards, and necessary product preparations.
Receive and respond to customer questions, requests and complaints. Deliver a positive customer experience. Also ensure high standards of product freshness, condition, quality and speed of delivery.
Maintain respectful, values-driven workplace. Use open communication tools, and convert input into meaningful action. Bring complaints to the attention of direct manager, or store manager, to resolve issues consistent with Java Blend’s values, policies and procedures.
- Loss Prevention and Safety
Protect company assets and information by ensuring their safe handling, security and integrity. Proactively promote loss prevention awareness by upholding procedures and ensuring policies are in place. Maintain a safe work environment through education, consistent follow up, ensuring policies and procedures are in place, and supporting the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
Performs any other task, function or responsibility as instructed by their immediate supervisor and/or manager of the Company.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Mathematical skills.
- Ability to communicate well in both verbal and written forms.
- Ability to observe, assess and coach the work of others.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written and/or verbal form.
- Ability to reason, make decisions, and use independent judgment in various situations.
Rare: 1 to 45 minutes
Occasional: 45 minutes to 2.5 hours
Frequent: 2.5 to 5 hours
Continuous: 5 or more hours
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry products weighing less than 5 lbs. Will rarely need to lift and carry products weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Frequent reaching to various levels and directions to grab ingredients to make product, move product to customers, and stock product on display shelves.
- Possess dexterity for complex hand-eye tasks, including food and beverage preparation and merchandising.
- Continuous standing, frequent walking, stooping, bending and twisting and occasional kneeling needed to stock product(s) on display racks.
- Frequently required to read written documents.
- Continuous needs to hear and verbally communicate in order to interact with and respond to management, staff, and customers. Will need to hear requests in person and via telephone.
- Will occasionally be exposed to solvents (cleaners, detergents), radiation (Microwave in back room), continuously exposed to hot water, steam and frequently exposed to temperature fluctuations.
In addition to the above:
- Will need to adjust work schedule to the needs of the business, including working some nights, weekends, holidays.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Speed and Quality of production
- Customer Counts
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Store Computer, IPad, and Printer
- Various Software
- Barista Barware
- Coffee Brewers
- Oven, Toaster, microwave
- Hand Cart
- Physical Security Equipment
- Cash Register
This job description is not to be construed as a complete statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. It does not identify all tasks expected or performance standards that must be maintained. Staff may be required to perform any other job related instructions as requested by their immediate supervisor and/or other manager/executive of the Company.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Part-time hours: 20-40 per week
Salary: $14.50-$16.75 per hour
- Casual dress
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Store discount
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Bedford, NS B4B 0P9: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person