Reporting to the Senior Finance Officer, the Accounting Assistant assists the Accounting Department with general administration, ensuring alignment with the intentions of the FMB Board of Directors. The Accounting Assistant works with multiple platforms creating and managing folders, entering and verifying data, coding invoices, reconciling claims and statements.
The Accounting Assistant is primarily an internally focused position, however, as requested, this position may liaise and build relationships with various external stakeholders, partners, organizations and individuals.
- Supports duties related to accounts payable and accounts receivable functions;
- Matches receipts and invoices to statements, codes transactions, calculates GST rebates and prepares associated journal entries;
- Interpret and apply accounting policies, rules, and regulations to all work to ensure compliance with applicable standards;
- Assists with preparation of financial reports and summaries;
- Monitors expense claim reimbursement accounts;
- Assists with cheque requisitions including verifying and posting invoices;
- Assists with data management systems including folder creation, document scanning, data entry;
- Monitors third-party contractor payments including verifying invoices and entering data;
- Activates, deactivates and archives files, assists with offsite storage and file destruction requirements;
- Maintains confidentiality of all financial data;
- Provides general business line administrative assistance including standardizing documentation, distributing mail.
The Accounting Assistant performs other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent;
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in an accounting role, preferably within a not for profit or similar environment;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook);
- Experience with Sage 300 an asset;
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly in a rapidly changing environment with excellent attention to detail;
- Experience working with information and data management systems;
- Experience working with and/or contracting external vendors and consultants an asset;
- Experience working with Indigenous Governments, organizations, and communities an asset;
- Must have an understanding, awareness and appreciation of Indigenous culture and history;
- Willing to participate in ongoing education and training for the role;
- Willingness to participate in ongoing education and training for the role including Indigenous Cultural studies;
- Must be fluent in English (spoken and written), French language is considered an asset.
Equivalent or relevant education and/or experience may be considered.
- Conveys information, both verbally and written, with confidence, consistency, effectiveness, and clarity, using active listening techniques to effectively understand and increase understanding.
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency in technical and administrative knowledge to achieve a high level of performance;
- Keeps informed about current and future trends in relevant areas.
- Ability to adapt and respond to the changing environment and to constructively create opportunities for change through active participation;
- Embraces change and demonstrates a willingness to learn new skills and processes.
Discretion and confidentiality
- Respects the confidentiality of information, spoken and written in confidence and refrains from sharing with others except on a need to know basses and with permission from the CEO;
- Demonstrates skills of discretion and judgement when carrying out duties.
Detailed and organized
- Responsive in a fast-paced environment; follows detailed procedures and ensures accuracy in documentation and data; concentrates on routine work details; organizes and maintains a system of records;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and determine project urgency in a practical way; uses goals to guide actions; creates detailed action plans; organizes and schedules people and tasks effectively.
- This position is based in West Vancouver, BC. Hybrid work arrangements may be considered.
What We Offer
- Salary and annual bonus eligibility;
- Flexible 37.5-hour work week
- Employer paid extended benefits;
- Health/Wellness Spending Account;
- Matching group RRSP contributions;
- Three weeks annual vacation allowance and generous paid stat & non-stat days;
- Work-life balance;
- Professional development & career growth opportunities.
FMB is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes and celebrates the diversity of all First Nations and people across Canada. We are an inclusive organization that treats all employees equally. As a First Nations Organization, applicants of Indigenous descent are highly encouraged to apply.