Rural and Remote Division of Family Practice
Virtual Care Coordinator – North Vancouver Island
Location: Home-based on North Vancouver Island. Candidates must reside in one of these communities: Port Hardy, Port McNeill, Port Alice and Alert Bay (consideration may be offered to candidates residing in neighbouring communities).
Reports to: Executive Director
Employment Type: Temporary part-time work until March 31st with potential for extension (.3 FTE)
Compensation Range: $39-45 per hour based on education and experience.
Our mission is to support our members as they advocate for equitable rural health services, sustain a workforce, collaborate with partners, and design locally relevant programs to support the health of their communities. Established in 2012, the Rural and Remote Division of Family Practice supports more than 150 physicians and nurse practitioners in 13 chapters across the province. Our Division works with four geographic Health Authorities and the First Nations Health Authority in more than 100 communities across the province, including more than 50 Indigenous communities. Our members serve approximately 140,000 patients over approximately 100,000km (about 62137.12 mi).
The Virtual Care Coordinator is a temporary part-time position ending March 31, 2024, with potential for extension. The successful candidate will work with Division staff and physicians, primary care teams, specialists, and specialized services to make virtual patient encounters more widely available and will facilitate the coordination of these encounters to routinely wrap an appropriate and expanded team around each patient.
- Works in collaboration with local, regional, and provincial specialists, medical office assistants, primary care providers, and other members of interdisciplinary teams
- Sets up and facilitates ‘video-enabled’ encounters with patients, primary care teams, and specialist or specialized services to facilitate ‘closer to home’ patient centered care
- Connects with specialists and specialized services to garner their interest in participating in the initiative and establishing a potential virtual visits calendar
- Support patients to make sure they can login to virtual platforms, assist with trouble shooting and connectivity issues when required
- Work with medical office assistants to develop a seamless workflow
- Research and review current technologies to support ongoing technology development
- Provide technical training to patients, medical office assistants, primary care providers, other members of interdisciplinary teams, specialists, and specialized services
- Other duties as assigned provided it respects the hours and structure of the position
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in a health-related discipline
- Experience as a Medical Office Assistant
- Experience working with health professionals
- Experience in a direct client care role
- Lived experience equivalence
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Patient person with a love of people and making meaningful connections
- Overall can-do attitude
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work independently as an effective member of an integrated administrative team
- Ability to communicate effectively using both written, verbal, and virtual communication
- Computer skills – ability to use Microsoft applications (etc. Excel) to track and monitor progress
- Technology skills – ability to work effectively with a variety of virtual platforms including Zoom and teams and have some understanding of electronic medical records
- Cultural safety and humility training, or any combination of training and/or appropriate lived experience or willingness to complete some is required
- Strong organizational, decision making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to respect and promote confidentiality
WHAT WE OFFER
- Employee assistance plan
- Hourly payout in lieu of stat, vacation and holiday time
- Laptop and $50 phone or internet reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities and mentorship
- Flexible home-based work
- $39-45 per hour based on education and experience
- Supportive culture that values healthy boundaries and balanced work
- Support from a community of practice of Virtual Care Coordinators from the RCCbc
HOW TO APPLY
Please note this position is remote, however candidates must reside in one of the communities on North Vancouver Island. Port Hardy, Port McNeill, Port Alice or Alert Bay (consideration may be offered to candidates residing in neighbouring communities).
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter by October 31st, 2023. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The Rural and Remote Division of Family Practice is committed to ensuring that equity, diversity, and inclusion are priority considerations, including in building a team that honours the experiences and expertise of communities. The Division strongly encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, Black people, people of colour, immigrants and refugees, working class people, and LGBTQ+ people. Applicants who do not fit these criteria are encouraged to self-identify, should they feel comfortable doing so, and are invited to share how their lived experience would inform their approach and ethics in this leadership position. If you have privilege for the opposite of any of the reasons below, please share what you are presently doing be anti-racist, classist, sexist etc.
To find out more about our organization and our programs, visit: http://divisionsbc.ca/rural-and-remote
Please apply to this job even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes. We aren’t looking for a unicorn, we are looking for the right person. Come work with us!
Job Types: Casual, Part-time
Part-time hours: 12 per week
Salary: $39.00-$45.00 per hour
- Employee assistance program
- Work from home
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Do you reside in one of the communities on North Vancouver Island?
Note: if you don't reside in the North region of the Island, your application will not be considered, please only apply if you meet this criteria. Thank you.
Work Location: Remote