Who We Are:
Aird & Berlis LLP is a prominent Canadian business law firm located in the heart of Toronto’s financial district, across from Union Station. With over 220 lawyers, business advisors and patent agents, we serve clients across Canada and globally.
What We Believe In:
The firm is committed to ensuring that all members of the Aird & Berlis LLP community feel valued, respected and supported. We are a dedicated group of diverse individuals who care about each other, the work we produce and the client service we provide. We go to great lengths to foster a professional, supportive environment for all firm members so you can focus on the important things: client service, your career and your life.
What We Are Looking For:
Aird & Berlis LLP is looking for a Legal Assistant who can manage and organize the daily operations of a few busy practices in the Wills, Estates and Trust department. The ideal candidate should be someone who has a strong attention to detail, be highly organized and has the ability to handle multiple priorities. This is a good position for someone with a strong litigation background and has a keen interest in Wills, Estates and Trusts.
- Support reporting lawyers with assembling and organizing client case information
- Assist in the preparation and completion of various litigation documentation such as motion records, pleadings, notices, affidavits, affidavits of documents and correspondence
- Attending to service and filing of court documents, including preparation of Affidavits of Service and corresponding with process servers where required
- Prepare and proofread estate planning documents including wills, powers of attorney, and related estate and trust documents
- Attend as a second witness for client signatures
- Handle or assist in all aspects of estate administration from beginning to end
- Oversee and maintain the Wills and Trust vaults and databases
- Ensure legal documents are prepared within timelines set by the lawyers or applicable court dates
- Manage mediation practice from beginning to end
- When appropriate, prepare and hyperlink documents for court filings and service of same
- Manage and track due dates and deadlines, especially in respect of litigation files
- Scan, file and e-file a large volume of emails and documents
- Proofreading letter correspondence and compiling enclosures
- Communicating with clients in a professional and friendly manner
- Produce the highest quality of work
- Handle daily administrative details
- Manage duties related to accounting and billing
- Arrange meetings
- Calendar management
- Take initiative
- Minimum of three years’ legal experience, preferably in litigation
- Successful completion of a post-secondary Legal Assistant or Law Clerk program
- Previous litigation working experience and knowledge of the Ontario Rules of Civil Procedure
- Familiar with CaseLines and ACL considered an asset
- Microsoft Office 365 suite of applications
- Ability to problem solve
- Good judgement and decision making
- Strong interpersonal skills
Why You Should Apply:
- Opportunities for growth and on the job training and development
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- We pride ourselves on being a mid-sized firm with a family feel
- Active involvement in our community with opportunities to volunteer
- Mentor program
- Wellness programs
Please note that our vaccination policy has been suspended at this time.
Any offer of employment will be conditional upon a criminal background check.
We will review applications as they are received and all applications will be kept on file. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Aird & Berlis LLP is committed to providing equal access to employment. If you require accommodation, please contact [email protected] and we will work with you to provide accessibility support.