About the Position:
The Paralegal will be responsible for performing a variety of duties for the (department/direct report) according to established policies and procedures. Primarily representing and defending the Landlord on various applications before the Landlord and Tenant Board. Responsible to be organized, able to multitask, adapt to changing priorities and shall possess a high level of resident care with a confidential work approach. To maintain positive contact with residents and observe confidentiality of resident matters; prepare documents, manage files, organize, research, obtain, compile, prepares and maintains files and documents; keep accurate time records and provide paralegal support to business.
- Representing and defending before the Landlord and Tenant Board on a variety of files, primarily non-payment, behaviour, T2, T3 at various LTB office locations
- Preparing and filing legal paperwork using Board prescribed forms and applications
- Organizing hearing support including documents, witnesses and subpoenas as required
- Reviewing aged receivables and reading ledgers to understand non-payment issues.
- Updating Yardi on legal status’
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience as a licensed paralegal
- Strong working knowledge of the Residential Tenancies Act
- Demonstrated initiative and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to deal with clients directly in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct.
- Efficient, well organized, and proficient multitasker
- Expertise in using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel)
- Strong multitasking ability and able to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work well under pressure, while maintaining quality control and focus on details.
- Courteous and respectful, working collaboratively on a team.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment such as computer, photocopiers, and fax machines.
- A professional demeanor coupled with strong written and verbal communication.
- A demonstrated high degree of integrity, diplomacy, discretion, and confidentiality.
- Ability to accurately listen, understand and respond appropriately.
- Ability to work and act independently using good judgment when assessing difficult situations.
- Ability to remain calm and focused on high pressure situations.
- Self-motivated and proactive, takes initiative; goal and results oriented
- Superior organizational and time management skills to work under tight timelines and meet multiple deadlines.
- Flexible with a “can-do” and “no task is too big or too small” attitude.
- Excellent problem-solving capabilities.
- Superior attention to detail and accuracy and excellent follow-up skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team
- Some travel in Ontario could be required.
- Ability to speak other languages is considered an asset.
- Actively championing diversity, equity and inclusion to create an environment of belonging
About the Company:
At Hazelview Properties we believe that apartments
are more than bricks and mortar - they are an experience.
Started in 1999 with one small building in Oakville Ontario, we now manage a portfolio of over 200 multi-family residential buildings throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia.
Hazelview Properties takes pride in ownership and an active hands-on approach to how we manage our communities. We are committed to fostering the long-term growth of our employees, communities and the investments we make for our clients. It’s one of the things we’ve always believed in, creating value for people and places.
At Hazelview, we know our greatest asset is our people. We go all out to build and nurture a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where individual experiences and collective layers of difference are brought together to achieve greatness. We invest where we see potential, building for now and generations to come.
Vision: “We create value for people and places”.
Our Core Values:
- Ownership Mindset
- Having Fun
Hazelview Property Services Inc. is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. If you require an accommodation to participate in any aspect of the recruitment process or to perform essential job functions, please let us know. We will work with you to accommodate your needs and in accordance with all applicable legislation. Information related to accommodation requirements will be addressed confidentially.
Our vision for sustainability is to foster happy, healthy, thriving communities where we operate. We recognize that it is the responsibility of Hazelview to create an inclusive environment that respects the dignity and diversity of all team members. To learn more, please visit the following link: https://www.hazelviewproperties.com/about/sustainability