We’re in search of a values-aligned individual who resonates with our inclusive, child and family-centered approach. If you’re passionate about nature, play-based learning, and emergent curriculum, we have a new management role awaiting you! This position involves supervising our Early Years Child Care programs, spanning from Infants, to 30 months, to five-year-old’s. Collaborating within our leadership team, you’ll play a pivotal role, especially as we venture into an exciting phase of expansion!
The ideal candidate for this role has a proven equity-focused approach to both personnel and childcare management. They lead thoughtfully, advocate for fairness, prioritize transparent communication, and actively participate in decision-making. Succeeding in this role demands self-awareness of personal values and biases, along with a keen understanding of their practical implications.
Application deadline: September 30th, 2023
About Fernwood NRG: Fernwood Neighbourhood Resource Group (Fernwood NRG) is a multi-service non-profit community organization working on lək̓ʷəŋən (Lekwungen) lands in Victoria, BC. Fernwood NRG serves the Fernwood neighbourhood by:
- supporting individuals and families with affordable, high-quality childcare, programs, services, and housing,
- increasing food security through improving access to affordable, high-quality food,
- playing an active role in developing the neighbourhood economy, and
- engaging the neighbourhood through activities, events, and communications.
Fernwood NRG is committed to ensuring that equity, diversity, and inclusion are valued in our decision-making, in our internal work, and our work in the Neighbourhood. We continue to work towards deeper organization-wide understanding and competence with anti-racism and decolonization. Employees’ lived experience and commitment to these values is highly valued. We recognize that people from communities who experience marginalization (e.g. on the basis of ethnicity, citizenship/immigration status, gender, sexual orientation, ability, socioeconomic status, etc) may be less likely to apply for leadership positions. We strongly encourage you to apply if you have a passion for our mission and meet the core requirements below.
Management status: Management level
Reports to: Director of Child Care
Direct Reports: 2 Coordinators; oversees the management of up to 5 Team leads.
Hours/work schedule: Full-time, permanent hours, on call/some evenings and weekends.
Work location(s): 1240 Gladstone Avenue & 1180 Queens Avenue
This is a full-time management level position with a salary range of:
$23.50 + $4= $27.50 hourly ($57,200 per year) to
$26.00 + $4 = $30.00 hourly ($62,400 per year)
The starting wage will depend on the successful candidate’s skills and experience. *the ECEWE ($4) is separate from your base wage as it is offered directly from the provincial government. If the program is cancelled or Fernwood NRG is unable to participate, your total wage will be your base wage.
- Paid Sick Time
- Extended health benefits co-pay
- Discounts on the Good Food Box
- Priority placement for childcare spaces at the organization (as a $10/Day site fees are no more than $10 dollars a day)
- Paid professional development days
Duties and Responsibilities
Program & Compliance Management
- Ensures the successful delivery of Fernwood NRG’s high quality licensed Child Care programs by overseeing, and coordinating day-to-day operations for the infant, toddler, and 3-5 child care spaces in collaboration with the coordinators.
- Works with the Director of Child Care to align child care programs with the organization’s values, including diversity, inclusion, justice, decolonization, and equity.
- Support coordinators and team leads with program supplies and request orders.
Works with the Child Care Administrative Assistant to:
- Manage wait pool, program registration, subsidy applications and invoicing; additionally, manages contracts for and relationships with the Supported Child Development Program and Aboriginal Supported Child Development.
Works with the Coordinators and Child Care Administrative Assistant to:
- Ensure that all VIHA requirements are met, including but not limited to reporting, documentation, maintaining files, writing exemptions, and other duties as needed to maintain good standing with Licensing.
- In communication with the Director or Child care and Team Leads supports in creating individual care plans for children who require additional support.
- Works with the Director of Child Care to plan and implement program growth and change.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with child care families. Communicates with families in a timely and professional manor, including registrations, regular updates, seeking supports for children, and resolving concerns.
- Supports Coordinators and Team Leads by providing, leadership, coaching, evaluation, and supervision, while running monthly leadership meetings and quarterly staff meetings.
- Supports Child Care coordinators with child care staff scheduling, including reviewing time sheets and time off requests; submitting payroll information, proactively plans coverage for staff vacations and leaves.
- Implements training and professional development for child care staff with direction from the Director of Child Care; collaborate with the Director in assessing training needs and opportunities.
- Have the flexibility to step into program to maintain adult-to-child ratio and/or support in a high needs/emergency.
Financial Management and Reporting
- Supports the development and monitoring of program budgets, including tracking expenditures and facilitating procurement.
- Works collaboratively with the Director of Child Care and the OSC Manager for the accurate and timely reporting to funders.
Other Duties as required.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you have a passion for Fernwood NRG’s mission and meet the below requirements:
- ECE certification in BC required.
- Experience working directly with children aged 0-5.
- Experience working with children on the high needs spectrum and children facing conditions of risk.
- You are highly organized, reliable, and have experience with and an understanding of the importance of confidentiality.
- Ability to take responsibility for the position responsibilities identified above, including identifying where you will require additional training or external assistance to succeed.
- Ability to think strategically, plan, prioritize, organize, and implement in a busy non-profit environment.
- Familiar with the Community Care and Assisted Living Act’s Child Care Licensing Regulations and Child Care Operating Funding.
- Ability to communicate clearly and build relationships of trust, including with people with different identities and life experiences from you.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with others, including problem solving, delegating, coaching, conflict resolution, and other interpersonal skills.
Preference given to candidates with the following skills, assets, or experience:
- Management and/or senior leadership experience, especially in a non-profit or community-serving context.
- Preference given to candidates in supervisory position in child care settings.
- Strong and demonstrated communication skills with a variety of audiences, community partners, and staff.
- Communication skills in languages other than English which are spoken by people living in the Fernwood neighbourhood.
- Knowledge of workplace health and safety standards, excellent organizational and coordination skills, judgment and risk analysis; and, attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture.
- Experience managing several direct reports at once and/or supporting other managers to manage well; experience developing and implementing human resources processes.
- Familiar with a Microsoft Office working environment.
- Commitment to justice, equity, diversity, decolonization, and inclusion, including the ability to appreciate diversity, different opinions, lived experiences, backgrounds, and personality types.
- Candidates who feel they have lived and/or informal experience that is translatable to the job requirements, or can demonstrate a willingness to learn, are invited to include these notes in their application.
Candidates who progress through our selection process will be required to provide the following before an employment agreement is finalized.
- Must provide a record of immunization status.
- Must provide two professional references.
- All employees within Fernwood NRG require a Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check upon being hired.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a cover letter on or before September 30th, 2023 at 11:59 pm.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $27.50-$30.00 per hour
- Extended health care
- On-site childcare
- Paid time off
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Victoria, BC V8T 1G6: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- BC ECE Certification (required)
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2023-09-25