Founded in 1979, Columbia International College (CIC) is the largest boarding high school in Canada. During our 44 years of history, parents from over 120 countries have placed their children in CIC’ care.
CIC offers the Total Care Education System to support students to achieve their goal of getting into a post-secondary institution of their choice. Our Total Care Education provides services that can support international students to meet their Academic, Social, Emotional and Physical needs.
The House Parent Night is responsible for the health and welfare of our students in the residences. The primary focus of this position is to provide support for students through residential programming that will create a safe, engaging, memorable and enjoyable environment. The House Parent Night ensures the safety and security of the students overnight in the residence.
The House Parent Night works overnight (11:00pm - 9:00am) in one of the residences.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop professional relationships with students to promote social, emotional, and physical well-being.
- Monitor students’ development and provide guidance when necessary.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with students, parents and staff members.
- Work closely and collaboratively with various departments (Campus Security, Housekeeping, Guidance, Academic, Liaison, etc.).
- Assist students with requests to move out early, change rooms, change residences, upgrade rooms, etc.
- Work with residence staff to track room changes and make note of any fee adjustments.
- Communicate set residence policies to students and parents.
- Act as a strong team role model for all residence staff and support the Residence Life Managers in a positive manner.
- Communicate and appropriately question outside visitors who may enter the building (i.e., delivery personnel, outsiders, agents etc.).
- Liaise with the Residence Life Supervisors and Residence Life Managers in regards to any student issues.
- Ensure that there is adequate preparation for student check-in’s/check-out’s and assist with all departures during shift time.
- Verify log out and sign out forms are complete, parent permission is received, and follow up to any incomplete sign out violations.
- Receive maintenance request forms from students (and follow up), as well as report any housekeeping issues in the housing software.
- Counsel students on cleanliness and housekeeping issues.
- Remain on site throughout the duration of the shift and be contactable by internal or company mobile telephone.
- Aid in morning wake-ups, bus loading and daily reports.
- Investigate and report any suspicious behaviors to other residence staff, Residence Life Supervisors and Residence Life Managers.
- Regularly patrol premises/perform room checks to ensure the safety of the students and all persons in the residence.
- Accompany students to appointments as assigned (i.e., medical appointments, airport accompaniments, embassy, etc.).
- Give residence tours (if authorized) when the Residence Life Manager is not present.
- Complete file maintenance and other administrative tasks as assigned.
- Attend training/meetings and nonresidential activities as assigned.
- Other duties as prescribed by the General Manager or the General Manager’s designate, which may be amended from time to time.
Hours of Work:
- Required to work 11:00 pm – 9:00 am (The start/finish times may vary depending on operational needs).
- Must be available evenings, weekends, and statutory holidays.
- Must have the flexibility to work at all residence locations.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field (Social Work, Child and Youth, etc.) is an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Engaging positive attitude with students and fellow staff.
- Ability to handle escalated, high pressure situations and encounters.
- Experience working with youth, preferably in a multicultural environment.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Capable of lifting up to 12kgs/25lbs as required.
- Capable of frequent walking, standing and/or sitting up to 4 hours at a time.
Columbia International College is committed to workplace diversity and provides accommodations, whenever possible, to applicants and employees with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department.
** We kindly ask that applicants submit a cover letter, in addition to a resume**
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- HAMILTON, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Have you previously been employed with Columbia International College? If so, what were the approximate dates of your employment?
Work Location: In person