Congebec is actually looking for a Food Safety and Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator to join our amazing HR Team! If you're looking for a place where you can have a real impact on the company success and to help grow a positive health and safety culture, we want to meet you!
Under the supervision of the Quality Assurance Director, the Food safety & OHS Advisor will be responsible for:
- Monitor, evaluate, and audit the HACCP system in the facilities.
- Ensure the HACCP program and BRC standards meets all operational and regulatory guidelines, which includes documenting, revising, and updating programs as required.
- Act as primary contact for customers, CFIA Inspectors and HACCP System auditors.
- Train employees on personal hygiene, Good Warehouse Practices (GDPs), HACCP and Food Defense.
- Ensure compliance with all Health and Safety rules and regulations and Food Safety programs.
- Ensure that all compliance and rules regarding warehouse policies, procedures, standards are followed as well as Health and Safety.
Occupational Health & Safety (OHS)
- Responsible for safety orientation, safety training, job site inspections and reporting.
- Maintain awareness of amendments to the Occupational Health & Safety Act (OHSA) and Regulations and make recommendations for their implementation.
- Perform job site safety compliance inspections including hazard analysis, safe work procedures, written reports and recommendations.
- Manage all occurrence reports and incident reports
- Responsible for monitoring adherence to the company safety program by all Congebec Inc employees and subcontractors.
- Research, plan, organize and conduct training programs/seminars for Congebec Inc supervisors and warehouse employees, with regard to WHMIS, Fall Protection, Orientation, Personal Protection Equipment, CPR/First Aid, HACCP and BRC training
- Ensure the timely completion of accident/injury reporting to Corporate Office.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor's direction.
- Coordinate the activities of other occupational safety personnel within one or more divisions and departments, if appropriate.
- Plan, design, develop, implement, and evaluate departmental occupational safety programs.
- Provide guidance to field personnel via safety briefings.
- Provide advice and counsel to management and other employee groups on a broad range of occupational safety issues and decisions.
- Develop and conduct occupational safety training for various workgroups, including evaluation and modification of programs to meet local, provincial, and federal OHSA requirements.
- Coordinate inspections, investigations, and occupational safety activities with departments.
- Research occupational safety information to assure the best available methods and equipment are adopted to minimize the hazards in the work place.
- Advise on improvements in tracking and reporting procedures.
- Conduct all Health & Safety committee meetings
- Lead and/or participate on teams with safety, technical, management, and other team members.
- Periodically act as a team leader to special task forces or teams.
- Provide direction and/or guidance to less experienced occupational safety personnel.
- Provide training to managers and others on occupational safety issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Certificate’s degree in health and safety or in a related field.
- Working toward or already certified: CRSP, WHMIS, Train-the-trainer, etc. (considered a strong asset)
- Three (3) to five (5) years' experience in Occupational Health & Safety
- Experience in the food industry (A strong asset)
- Or combination of equivalent studies/experience
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently and with various teams
- Investigation and problem-solving skills
- Strong sense of internal customer service
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the OHSA, WSIB, CNESST, HACCP, BRC legislation.
- Quality Orientation
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Ethics and Integrity
Qualifications and skills required:
- Must have demonstrated the ability to develop and deliver food safety training and HACCP programs.
- Ensures all HACCP programs meet company protocols and regulatory guidelines
- Ensures HACCP programs are effective and implemented as written
- Ensures effective training of employees on personal hygiene, GWPs, and HACCP
- Good oral and written communication skills; must be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Must be able to evaluate information quickly, identify key issues and formulate conclusions based on sound, practical judgement and experience.
- Must have a strong sense of personal ownership while maintaining a team-oriented environment.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the OHSA and workers' compensation legislation.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency with database applications and administration systems, specifically Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work effectively alone and prioritize.
- Must be a highly motivated, service and team-oriented individual with an attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety Act and Regulations.
- Knowledge of HACCP / BRC
- Working towards certification, or already certified, under the Occupational Health & Safety Act/Regulations is preferred.
- First Aid training
- Enthusiasm for challenge and new initiatives are prerequisites.
- Travel required between Mississauga and Etobicoke facility.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, biology, nutrition, or a related field
- HACCP or GMP certification is desirable
- Knowledge and or formal BRC training
- Safety certification training (e.g., CRSP, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System, MSDA) is considered a strong asset
- Three to five years' experience in occupational health and safety in an industrial establishment
*This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be revised in the future depending on the operational needs of the workforce.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
Flexible Language Requirement:
Supplemental pay types:
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: In person