Job Level: RE-05 $68,641 to $91,072
Closing Date: 25/09/23
The Public, Legal and Corporate Affairs Branch is looking for a Paralegal Specialist for an indeterminate position. The position is classified as an RÉ-05 ($68,641 to $91,072 per annum). Salary under review.
The National Capital Commission (NCC) is the federal Crown corporation dedicated to ensuring that Canada’s Capital is a dynamic and inspiring source of pride for all Canadians and a legacy for generations to come. Building on more than a century of experience, the NCC provides unique value in the Capital Region by fulfilling three specific roles: long-term planner of federal lands, principal steward of nationally significant public places, and creative partner committed to excellence in development and conservation.
Year after year, the NCC has been recognized as one of National Capital Region’s top employers. NCC employees can deploy to departments and separate agencies in accordance with the Public Service Employment Act.
A pool of qualified people will be held and may be used to staff additional temporary or indeterminate positions.
You will prepare legal documents, conduct research, finalize real estate transactions, handle landlord and tenant matters and provide support on litigation matters to assist with the delivery of legal services under the supervision of the General Counsel.
A diploma in Legal Services from a recognized post-secondary institution.
Three to five years of experience:
- Conducting legal research into case law.
- Providing professional support on leasing matters.
- Providing professional support on landlord and tenant matters or litigation matters.
- Knowledge of relevant leasing statutes, regulations and rules including the Ontario Residential Tenancies Act.
- Knowledge of rules of procedures and practice of the Landlord and Tenant Board and the Small Claims Court.
- To analyze and perform deep research into legal theories, case law and organization precedents.
- To negotiate and resolve disputes.
- To communicate concisely, clearly and persuasively and draft a variety of documents.
- Demonstrating Integrity and Respect Civility and Well-Being.
- Thinking things through—Innovating through analysis and ideas.
- Working Effectively with Others — Relationships and Trust Building.
- Showing Initiative and Being Action-Oriented — Getting Things Done.
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario as a Licensed Paralegal.
- Experience in undertaking titles searches and in real estate transactions closings.
- Holds an appointment certificate or able to obtain an appointment certificate to act as a commissioner of oaths with the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General and/or with the Government of Quebec.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Possess or eligible to obtain secret security clearance.
- Linguistic profile: English essential.
- Position is in the National Capital Region. The person selected for this position must reside within a commutable distance from the workplace at 40 Elgin Street, Ottawa, Ontario.
- The National Capital Commission offers a hybrid and flexible work environment, all employees are currently asked to work on-site at least two (2) days per week.