The Ontario Cannabis Store provides safe, responsible access to recreational cannabis for adults 19 and older. We operate the provincial online store for recreational cannabis in Ontario and are the exclusive provincial wholesaler to authorized private retail stores.
Working at the OCS is a unique opportunity to be part of an agile start-up in a ground-breaking new industry. We’re a diverse team passionate about delivering a great customer experience, working together with mutual respect, and building value out of our differences. We’re an inclusive organization that understands that delivering great results comes out of ensuring every voice is heard.
About the Role
We are looking for a Corporate Secretary to join our Legal team. The Corporate Secretary is accountable for supporting the OCRC Board of Directors (Board) and ensuring the integrity of OCRC governance framework. The Corporate Secretary ensures the efficient administration of the Board and is responsible for maintaining the official records of the OCRC, complying with all regulatory requirements, and providing advice and counsel to the Board on corporate governance matters.
The Corporate Secretary is the management lead for all governance matters and provides leadership for the OCS, to implement a high level of corporate governance.
About Your Day
- Provide leadership in effective governance, compliance, reporting and disclosure requirements, by coordinating efforts and complementing the work of other members of Management.
- Serve as a source of governance expertise to the Board and Management on current developments and compliance.
- Provide a positive influence on the structure, composition, membership, activities and ultimate effectiveness of the Board of Directors and Board Committees by providing resources, information and communications, as needed and appropriate.
- Provide notice of, direct arrangements for, and attend and record written minutes of, all regular or special meetings of the Board and Board Committees.
- Serve as Secretary to the Board and Board Committees, reporting directly to the Board and Committee Chairs in that role.
- Develop, coordinate and distribute all communications and reports to, and as requested by, the Board and Board Committees, or their respective Chairs.
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure that an appropriate governance program is developed, implemented and administered with the Board Chair and Board Committee Chairs.
- Administer the annual review of all corporate governance documentation, including the Board and Committee Guidelines, Terms of Reference, and Director Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy with the Board Chair and the Board Committee Chairs.
- Facilitate the orientation and onboarding of new Board members.
- With the Board Chair and the Board Committee Chairs, direct or coordinate the administration of the continuing education program for incumbent Directors.
- With the Board Chair and the Board Committee Chairs, develop, coordinate and conduct periodic Board effectiveness workshops.
- Carry out any other appropriate duties and responsibilities assigned by the Board, Board Chair, Board Committee, Committee Chairs, or the President and Chief Executive Officer.
- With other members of Management, as appropriate, develop, coordinate and distribute all reporting and filings required under applicable law or governance requirement, reporting to the Board and Board Committees when having done so.
- Direct or coordinate the preparation of all documents required under applicable law to effect approved changes in the constating documents of the OCS.
- Sign documents on behalf of the OCS as authorized by the Board or the constating documents of the OCS.
- Post secondary degree in business, OR equivalent combination of post-secondary education and experience
- Law degree is preferred
- 8+ years of corporate secretarial and/or corporate governance experience
- Strong executive presence and demonstrated experience working in a similar capacity, leading governance and Board relations
- Superior verbal/written communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to manage complex issues through sound judgement and advanced problem-solving
- Must be able to work in a capacity with strict privacy and confidentiality requirements both inside and outside the organization
About the Job
- This position currently offers a hybrid work schedule. The current in office requirement is a minimum of 3 days/week (may be more depending on business needs). The OCS office is located near York Mills and Yonge St. However, OCS reserves the right to change this policy and its office location at any time.
- City: Toronto, ON
- Employment Type: Permanent, Full-Time
- Required Travel: Rarely within the GTA
We are committed to providing an accessible, equitable and inclusive candidate and employee experience. We provide reasonable accommodation throughout the recruitment process and in employment. If you require an accommodation, please let us know, we will work with you to meet your needs.