Hi there! Thanks for stopping by
We're looking for a Legal Counsel to join our North American Commercial Legal team in Montreal, Quebec. You will operate under the supervision of the Assistant General Counsel for North America, and your core responsibilities will be drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, and generally collaborating with Lightspeed's business divisions to address intricate and unprecedented challenges within the context of a Canadian-centered technological enterprise.
This presents an exceptional prospect to align yourself with a dynamic and agile organization, and to work on a Legal team that empowers you to make an impact through individual contributions. At Lightspeed, you will find an environment that celebrates professional growth and advancement, encourages you to take ownership of your initiatives / come up with creative solutions, and actively pursue your ideas on how to improve Lightspeed's business and legal functions.
What you'll be doing:
- Drafting and negotiating commercial contracts with sophisticated customers, strategic partners, and suppliers.
- Delivering legal and general commercial advice to key stakeholders across all Lightspeed departments, including supporting the roll-out of marketing campaigns, collaborating with product and technology leaders to define product roadmap, managing Lightspeed's customer relationships, and much more.
- Managing investigations by and requests from regulatory bodies and government authorities, as required.
- Training colleagues and stakeholder groups on what to watch out for from a legal perspective.
- Conducting ad hoc analyses and facilitating complex, cross-functional, and/or multi-jurisdictional projects, and other special requests from the executive team.
- Managing litigation, external counsel, employment matters, transactions, privacy, and other compliance matters, as needed.
What you'll be bringing to the team:
- 2-4 years of post-qualification experience in a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, preferably with exposure to international, multi-jurisdictional matters.
- Broad commercial experience. Extensive background in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts, terms and conditions, and other similar contracts is a must-have.
- Professional-level proficiency in English.
- Comfortable communicating with colleagues and stakeholders on different levels, and with different professional and cultural backgrounds.
Who you are:
- You are a pragmatic problem solver.
- You are detail-oriented, autonomous, and able to take initiative.
- You can handle a high volume of assignments.
- You are motivated by new experiences and delivering a high level of service to your stakeholders.
- You demonstrate a high standard of professional ethics and integrity.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and you can bridge cultural differences.
- You want to exchange ideas effectively and be a good teammate – we work as a team!
- You are curious and eager to grow.
- You are keen to tackle all kinds of problems.
Even better if you have, but not necessary:
- Experience working in (i) an international environment, across different jurisdictions and languages; (ii) the technology, financial services, and/or SaaS industries; and (iii) other languages like German, Dutch, or French.
- Bonus for specific experience with partnership agreements (referral, reseller and integration), SaaS contracts and procurement contracts.
- Knowledge of and experience with Privacy, IP, Fiscalization, Employment, and Corporate laws.
What's in it for you:
- Excellent holistic legal training, as our Commercial Legal group excels at training our lawyers to be equipped to handle all nature of legal topics and be true (and pragmatic) business partners.
- This is your chance to play a key role in continuing to build and shape the Legal function for a global, Canadian-headquartered, fast-growing company.
- Amazing benefits & perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders and a dynamic / "never boring" environment.
- Opportunity to learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships, and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family.
- Supportive colleagues, strong culture of collaboration cross-functionally, cool tech law problems to solve on a daily basis.
To all recruitment agencies: Lightspeed does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. If we have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy, Lightspeed will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Where to from here?
Obviously, this has to be mutually beneficial: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you're proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world check out our career page here.
Lightspeed is building communities through commerce, and we need people from all backgrounds and lived experiences to do that. We were founded in 2005, in Montreal's gay village and our original members were all part of the LGBTQ+ community. The ethos of our business has been about inclusion from the very beginning, and we strive to provide a workplace where everyone belongs.
Who we are:
Powering the businesses that are the backbone of the global economy, Lightspeed's one-stop commerce platform helps merchants innovate to simplify, scale, and provide exceptional customer experiences. Our cloud commerce solution transforms and unifies online and physical operations, multichannel sales, expansion to new locations, global payments, financial solutions, and connection to supplier networks.
Founded in Montréal, Canada in 2005, Lightspeed is dual-listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: LSPD) and Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: LSPD). With teams across North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific, the company serves retail, hospitality, and golf businesses in over 100 countries.
Lightspeed handles your information in accordance with our Applicant Privacy Statement.