Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Reporting to the Director, Client Development & Operations, the Facilities & Office Services Clerk will execute a variety of administrative tasks in support of the Office Services Department.
- Books visitor offices and issues paperwork to MAC distribution list
- Prepares Move Guide and labels for individuals moving as well as creates name plates and mailbox labels for the Calgary Office
- Works with the Office Services Team to ensure moves are executed smoothly and items moving have been tagged and signage for moves created and posted
- Coordinates and supports the day to day operations of the Office Services/Facilities department. Follows up with individuals on the status of their requests. This includes boardroom and furniture set up, miscellaneous maintenance requests and general repairs, moves, student rotations, security inquiries and complaints, photocopiers, fax machines and printers and their functionality in the office, supplies inventory and requests, and distribution services
- Assists in Office Services (i.e. processing couriers, front window duties, monitors inbox’s and answers phones, rotation duties, placing 310 serve reports, administrative assistance, coverage/back-up, etc.)
- Ensures office/workstation are tidy, new office signage is in place and that post move deficiencies have been reported to the Director, Client Development & Operations for scheduling
- Updates Directory and updates floor plans to reflect office/workstation changes
- Acts at the first point of contact for all Office Services/Premises related issues (email, EMS, telephone, walk-ins and emergency calls). Receives service request and determines appropriate response and level of priority. Follows up with requestor as needed.
- Participates in space inspections as well as pre/post move inspections. Prepares inspection reports and follow’s up to ensure items noted have been rectified
- Reviews and checks vendor invoices for accuracy, matches with back up documentation, codes for payment and forwards to the Director, Client Development & Operations for approval
- Provides all new Firm personnel with a security card, maintains the card system, which includes definitions of all access levels and time zones. Preparation and analysis of reports generated by the system for after-hours access and any breach of security incidents. Co-ordinates investigation of incidents with building security, police forces and accounting (insurance) if necessary
- Arranges for the scanning of all hardcopy Courier Logs, Manifests, inspection logs etc. with Printing.
- Maintains accurate records and distributes security cards to Firm members, and visitors. Visitor Cards, client cards or temporary cards are prepared, distributed and followed up to ensure that temporary cards are returned in a timely basis.
- Compiles Office Services related stats and submits to the Director, Client Development & Operations.
- Liaises between the Firm members, the Office Services Department and also with suppliers/contractors and Building Control to gather information, obtains quotations, schedules work, expedites jobs, oversees small renovation projects, and carry’s out quality checks on the work completed by the Maintenance Technicians.
- Co-ordinates security responses to fire alarm tests and false alarms; ensures that all maglocks have been reset after alarm conditions
- Ensures all maintenance storage areas are maintained in an efficient order. Ensures inventory of storage areas is kept up to date.
- Coordinates installation of Firm artwork and maintains database/inventory spreadsheets of artwork within the Firm
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
This position requires two to five years experience in a Facilities/Office Services Department and or enrolment in an accredited Facilities Management Course or significant administrative experience, preferably in a professional services organization. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Ability to frequently lift 0-30 lbs with occasional lifting between 30-70 lbs
- General understanding of HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning)
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Solid writing/proofreading skills with ability to create reports and presentation materials
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Superior customer service orientation with a friendly, professional manner
- Demonstrates ability to exercise good judgement and discretion; sensitivity to confidential matters is required
- Intermediate computer skills and proficiency with MS office and SharePoint considered an asset
- Project management skills and ability to multi-task
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada's leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls/emails please.
No agencies or phone calls please.