LIQUOR, GAMING AND CANNABIS AUTHORITY OF MANITOBA
Job Bulletin: System Developer
Advertisement # 41870
System Developer (2 Positions)
Strategic Services and Public Affairs, Enterprise Architecture Department
Closing Date: October 13, 2023
Salary Range: $71,813 - $84,768 per annum (6XI)
The Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba (LGCA) regulates the province’s liquor, gaming, cannabis, and horse racing industries. We license liquor sales, service and manufacturing, gaming employees, products and operations, retail cannabis stores and horse racing. We strive to serve the public interest by regulating these industries in a respectful, impartial, and balanced manner.
The LGCA is seeking two highly motivated individuals to work within the Enterprise Architecture Department which is part of the Strategic Services and Public Affairs Unit, supporting systems development activities.
Specifically, the LGCA is seeking system developers with skills in database and application development; specific competencies related to each are below. Applicants are encouraged to identify their skills related to these specializations.
Candidates who do not meet the full qualifications, including education, may be considered for a development opportunity.
The successful candidate must have:
- A degree from a post-secondary institution, preferably in computer science or related fields. An equivalent combination of education, training and significant work experience may also be considered.
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in developing, implementing, and maintaining complex business system applications using object-oriented programming languages, preferably on an n-tier architecture utilizing web services.
- Experience gathering end-user requirements, performing analysis, translating business processes into practical designs, and implementing solutions.
- Experience coordinating and managing systems testing, integration, and automation of software releases.
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills to evaluate, comprehend, and solve problems quickly and effectively.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, accuracy, and decision-making skills to produce high-quality results.
- Strong organizational, project, and time management skills to develop, implement, and support IT initiatives and operational goals.
- Possesses strong interpersonal and teamwork skills with the ability to communicate to different levels of the organization and external stakeholders.
The following qualifications are desired:
- Database schema modeling/design, implementation and re-engineering.
- Development and tuning of data layer access methods and schema objects (e.g., procedures, functions, views).
- Data analytics, and reporting.
- Developing and supporting integration packages (SSIS) for ETL, reporting, database updates, and batch processing.
- Quality management for incoming data, and scripting to validate and correct integrity issues.
Application development specialization:
- Knowledge or experience with different software development methodologies (e.g., Agile, CMMI, Waterfall).
- Front-end development for Windows forms, and web applications using Microsoft frameworks (.Net).
- Development and support of web service interfaces, preferably exchanging data via XML/JSON formats.
- DevOps experience working with Azure DevOps, GitLab, and Git.
- Proficiency in French.
Your cover letter and résumé must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
The System Developer is responsible for providing technological business solutions and support to the LGCA. This involves consultation on development of business applications, data analysis, and reporting to help the LGCA reach its goals and objectives. The incumbent will perform all activities and tasks representative of the Application Development Life Cycle in support of this measure.
- An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
- Applicants may be required to write a screening/selection test.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Circumstances may arise where the competition may need to be withdrawn.
- A positive attendance record will be a consideration in the screening process
- Satisfactory work performance in the preceding 12 months is required.
- A satisfactory Criminal Records Check verified by fingerprints must be produced and maintained.
- Ability to occasionally work irregular hours on evenings and weekends.
- The work requires a considerable amount of time (90%) working at a sit/stand workstation on a computer.
The LGCA has a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes extended health care, health spending account, dental care, vision care, long term disability insurance, group life insurance, maternity leave top-up plan, family related leave and a defined benefit pension plan (some pension plans allow for portability between the Civil Service Superannuation Board and employers). The LGCA also has ergonomic workstations and free parking. Training, educational support and career development opportunities are also available.
Advertisement #: 41870
Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba
1055 Milt Stegall Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3G 0Z6
Fax: (204) 927-5384
Email: [email protected]
(Please quote your name and the advertisement number in the subject line of your email.)
Please submit your cover letter, resume and any other documents in PDF format. The LGCA does not accept .zip files or links to Google Docs, Dropbox, or any cloud-based storage systems as a replacement for PDF documents.
LGCA will consult with all applicants requesting accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure that the accommodation provided considers the applicant’s individual accessibility needs.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection. Applicants are requested to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Visit LGCAmb.ca to learn more about the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Winnipeg, MB R3G 0Z6: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-13