Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
- Providing advice and execution support for various transactional matters, including M&A, corporate finance and secured lending, under the guidance of the AVP Legal, Broker Alliances and Corporate Development
- Preparing and reviewing a variety of corporate and commercial agreements, including broker, MGA and other product distribution agreements, investments, banking and treasury documents, non-disclosure agreements and other routine contracts
- Coordinating board and shareholder meetings and materials
- Overseeing the administration and maintenance of minute books, corporate licensing processes and files, and corporate records
- Drafting a variety of corporate documents, including corporate minutes, resolutions, notices, etc.
What do you bring to the role?
- Law Degree from an accredited law school (LLB or Juris Doctor)
- Licensed by the Law Society of Ontario to practice law
- Ability to communicate professionally in both verbal and written exchanges with external and internal clients at all levels regarding needs and requests
- Strong experience negotiating and drafting a variety of corporate documents and commercial agreements
- Previous M&A, corporate finance and/or secured lending transactions experience
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience as a corporate/commercial lawyer at a Canadian financial institution, law firm or public company
- Propensity to maintain a composed, positive and confident attitude while working in a fast-paced environment, with minimal supervision
- Ability to work on confidential matters professionally with discretion
- Ability to manage timelines, adhere to schedules and manage processes
- A keen attention to detail
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
Hybrid work schedule for most roles
Company share ownership program
Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
Wellness and recognition programs
Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).