Title: Executive Assistant to the President and Corporate Secretary
Reports to: President
Department: President’s Office
Branch: Mission Services
Type of Work: Permanent, Full-time
Work Location: National Service Centre, Langley, BC, or telecommute from home.
Reporting to the President, the executive assistant provides senior administration assistance to the President and his executive leadership team and coordinates events and activities that emanate from the President’s Office. As the Corporate Secretary, the individual is responsible to administer the meetings and other related work of Young Life of Canada, the Young Life of Canada Foundation, and Young Life of Canada/Jeune Vie du Canada (Wash.) 501(c)(3) Corporation; and administer other Board-related meetings, including all associated minutes, records, and archives. The Corporate Secretary ensures compliance with these corporations' statutory and regulatory requirements.
Executive Assistant to the President
- Assist the President in written correspondence to staff teams, recoding expenses, filing, travel arrangements, and arranging meetings within different branches of the organization.
- Liaison between the President's Office and offices of other major parachurch ministries in Canada
- Liaison between the President's Office and Young Life USA
- Administer President’s Dinner events and other events of the President’s Office as directed.
- Responsible to administer Board meetings, including:
- Support to the President and Chair(s) as they build agenda(s)
- Attending all meetings and ensuring minutes are recorded and distributed promptly.
- Collect and collate all material for the bi-annual Report to the Board of Directors (“Board report”); design and distribute the report.
- Coordinate with and support Directors and spouses to arrange travel and hotel as required to attend meetings.
- Manage all Board meeting logistics regarding hotel, meeting rooms, equipment, etc.
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and bylaws for each corporation.
- Administer all federal and provincial reporting and filing requirements; administer reporting and filing requirements for Young Life of Canada Wash. 501(c)(3) Corp.
- Liaise with a lawyer as needed or directed.
- Administer all records related to Board members including:
- Board Handbook and Board portal (board.younglife.ca)
- Board Directories
- Term appointments and recruitment cycle
- Support recruitment of new Board members; support HR to orient new Board members.
- Administer Annual Board Survey
- Administer other meetings related to the Board, including minutes, member and records management, and bylaw requirements:
- Board Committee and Sub Committee meetings (i.e., Audit & Finance; Camping; Governance; Campaign; etc.)
- Annual Young Life of Canada Society and Annual General Meeting
- Direct interaction and administration of activities with and for the President
- Direct interaction and administration of activities with the Board of Directors
- Member of the National Mission Services Team interacting with the administrative team across the country
Guiding Principles and General ResponsibilitiesSpiritual Leadership
- Model Christ in word, deed, and actions.
- Model and promote Young Life’s mission and values. Represent Young Life positively and professionally within the community.
- Pray for kids, Young Life volunteers, and fellow Young Life staff.
- Pursue personal spiritual growth and involvement in a local church.
Team Duties and Responsibilities
- Model open communication and work collaboratively with the Mission Services team and Young Life staff in support of Young Life’s mission, core values and strategic plan.
- Engage with and foster healthy relationships with the Mission Services team.
- Attend and participate in the monthly National Prayer Room Zoom call
- Nourish a truthful, accountable, forgiving, joyful, and healthy work culture.
Personal and Professional Development
- Pursue opportunities to stay current concerning new procedures and trends by reviewing literature or through participating in professional development courses, seminars, or conferences as directed by or approved by the President.
Young Life is a relational outreach ministry to teens. Individuals must have a mature and growing faith in Christ and a heart for Christian mission work to teenagers here in Canada. Individuals must be self-starters and comfortable working in an office and/or hybrid setting.
- Personal knowledge and experience of the saving work of Jesus Christ.
- Agreement with Young Life’s Statement of Faith.
- Models and practices spiritual disciplines.
- Mature and principled.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education or equivalent required. Certified Legal Secretary an asset.
- Senior administrative experience in a registered Charity is strongly recommended.
- Three to five years experience in an office environment or equivalent required.
- Experience in organizing mid-sized to large corporate events.
- Administrative experience assisting an Executive is an asset.
- Young Life experience is an asset.
Skills and Competencies
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills. Articulate in the English language. Able to build relationships at multiple levels of an organization. Comfortable relating in a formal and informal setting to high-capacity individuals. Confident and mature.
- Effective and engaging written communicator. Expertise in grammar and spelling. Graphic design skills are an asset.
- Organized and detail-oriented. Accurate. Relied upon to meet and exceed deadlines.
- Superior time and project management skills; able to manage conflicting and changing priorities.
- Able to cultivate strategic and collaborative working relationships with key stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Comfortable and effective scheduling and coordinating schedules for high-capacity individuals, at times through their Assistants.
- Proactive project planner and scheduler.
- Expert skill with MS Office suite.
- Fast and accurate typist. Shorthand is an asset.
- Teachable especially in areas relevant to provincial and federal regulations regarding Board governance, charity law, and Society law.
- Can be trusted with confidential and sensitive information. Discreet.
- Effectively manage one’s time and resources to ensure that effective work and healthy personal life are nurtured and sustained.
Training and Certification
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and clean Driver’s Abstract or equivalent.
- Clean criminal record check, including vulnerable sector search, required as a condition of employment.
- Due to the nature of the job, and our commitment to a confidential and high ethical standard, the individual is subject to a criminal record check (CRC). A clean CRC is a condition of employment.
Work ConditionsWork Location:
- Travel is required for this position. Twice per year in November and May, domestic travel will be required.
- Work is performed in a variety of settings, including home offices, professional offices, hotels, camps, and restaurants.
- The work is generally sedentary in nature but may require standing or walking up to 10% of the time.
- Work environment is generally favourable. The incumbent will primarily work alone. However, the position can be a hybrid position with individuals working remotely and in the National Service Center
Hours of Work:
- Currently designed as a 30-hour-per-week position. The intensity of the work is highly seasonal based on bi-annual Board meetings scheduled in May and November and quarterly sub-committee meetings. The incumbent must adapt seasonally to ensure deadlines are met.
- This position generally works Monday to Friday. Occasional weekend work may be required during Board meetings.
- Moderate overtime will be required around Board meetings.
- Some increased risk of exposure to COVID-19 may be experienced due to travel requirements and in-person meetings.
- Other hazards are considered minor and controllable.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of people in this position. Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $24.10-$28.50 per hour
Expected hours: 30 per week
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Work from home
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Langley, BC V1M 4A6