Who We Are
Fasken is a leading international business law and litigation firm, and was recently voted one of Canada’s Best Employers for 2023. Our firm’s 900 lawyers are located across offices in Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London and Johannesburg. Providing strategic and thoughtful advice in all areas of business law, our broad range of clients include close to half of the Fortune 100 companies, as well as corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individuals. Our clients interests are paramount in all that we do and we take pride in supporting our communities. We are a place where bright, talented, and collegial people want to work together and we work hard together to achieve our goals in a collaborative and efficient way.
A Day In The Life
In this role you will assist the lawyers with various mandates by offering specialised technical legal expertise (incorporation, research, drafting legal documents, document verification, conveyancing etc). Key duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Minute book reviews
- Dealing with incorporation's including pre- and post-documentation; extra-provincial registrations across Canada (Reorganisations, acquisitions, mergers, amalgamations, amendments, revivals, dissolution's, name changes and continuations)
- Reviewing agreements relating to transactions
- Determine and draft required documentation
- Complete and summarize due diligence searches
- Organize and complete closing documentation and closing books
- Complete required provincial or federal corporate filings
- The paralegal will handle files from beginning to completion, working with minimal supervision
- Other related tasks or responsibilities
- Experience working as a corporate paralegal for 5 + years.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (Word and Excel)
- Knowledge of the legislation related to the practice area of law and ability to exercise independent judgement
- Familiarity with the corporate records database “ALF”
- Familiarity with the incorporation process under the Corporations Act as well as experience with public companies and Securities Act is required
- Ability to manage several files at once, strong sense of planning and organization
- Drafting capabilities
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Thorough, meticulous and detail-oriented
- Highly autonomous
- Strong organisational skills
- Excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills
Why Work With Us
Fasken is dedicated to rewarding your contributions and encouraging your professional development. We offer a comprehensive salary and benefits package that is very competitive, together with opportunities for personal and professional growth. Our benefits include:
- A health and wellness subsidy
- An annual education & tuition reimbursement
- Flexible medical and dental benefits (effective from day 1)
- Short term and long term disability insurance
- Personal days
- Employee & family assistance program
- Paid vacation and sick days
- Group retirement savings plan with matching contributions
- Monetary incentive for employee referrals
- Flexible working arrangements
- Opportunities to give back to your community through firm initiatives
- An engaging firm culture that celebrates our hardworking and dedicated people
Diversity and Inclusion
At Fasken we believe a diverse workplace comprises individuals with unique backgrounds, characteristics and qualities. An inclusive workplace creates an equitable environment where individuals are respected and where they are welcome. Fasken is committed to diversity and inclusion in all that we do.
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check, employment and educational verifications.
We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted.