Every WestJet journey has the potential to enrich lives; a career with us is no exception.
WestJet arrived on the Canadian airline scene in 1996 and changed the industry for the better. We made air travel more affordable for Canadians and now we're going global.
Join us and love where you’re going.
This is a hybrid position; you will be required to work at the WestJet Campus in Calgary at least 3 days per week.
WestJet has an opportunity for a legal Senior Claims Specialist. The successful candidate will join our legal group in an amazing and unique industry. Reporting to the General Counsel, the successful candidate will be an integral part of the legal team and be responsible to resolve matters on domestic and foreign legal issues, and help design and implement strategies with a view to minimize costs within the WestJet Group.
Your primary responsibilities will include responding to and representing WestJet’s interest in: small claims (and equivalent) court actions; regulatory bodies like Canadian Human Rights Commission and the Canadian Transportation Agency (collectively with the courts, “Actions and Complaints”); and assisting with larger files in concert with a WestJet in-house lawyer.
- Respond to Actions and Complaints in writing and in person where appropriate;
- Liaise with various internal departments (Legal, Regulatory, Corporate Security, Inflight Operations, OCC, etc.) to research complicated files;
- Attend court/tribunals/mediations as WestJet’s representative and advocate for Actions and Complaints;
- Identify trends in Actions and Complaints and communicate recommendations for changes/enhancements within the broader WestJet Group;
- Keep up to date on all WestJet guest-facing policies and tariffs;
- Monitor changes to applicable legislation in relation to the role;
- Assist in-house lawyers with preparation for larger files; and
- Liaise, assist, and provide direction where appropriate to external counsel.
- At least 3 years of experience within an airline or in a legal environment;
- Post-secondary education with a concentration in a related field (English, communications, paralegal training, or similar)
- 1-2 years of analytical business experience, negotiation, or related education required (problem solving, time management);
- French/Spanish language fluency (written and verbal) is an asset;
- Exceptional written and oral skills are required for Actions and Complaints resolution;
- Experience with conflict management, problem solving, and time management;
- Good project management skills, with a keen business sense and a focus on adding value to the organization and overcoming obstacles; and
- Proficiency in Sabresonic and other airline systems is an asset.
The benefits of being a WestJetter:
WestJet provides all WestJetters with a competitive total rewards package. On top of that, we offer:
- A fun and friendly culture with colleagues who work together to win
- Travel privileges for you and your family, effective from your start date
- Savings and Benefit programs that are flexible to meet your specific needs
Think we are a fit? Apply now!
About WestJet Group of Companies
Together with WestJet's regional airline, WestJet Encore, we offer scheduled service to more than 100 destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe and to more than 175 destinations in over 20 countries through our airline partnerships.
Our Safety Promise
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will use safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.
WestJet recognizes that the use of Alcohol and Drugs can adversely impact a safe work environment and the well-being of others including guests, suppliers and the public, as well as place WestJet's operations at risk. All roles that are identified as safety sensitive are required to pass a Pre-Employment Alcohol and Drug Test as per WestJet's Alcohol and Drug Policy.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We embrace what makes us each unique, and what makes us uniquely WestJet. WestJet is committed to inclusiveness, equity, and accessibility and if you require accommodation during the selection process, please let our Talent Acquisition team know. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest in WestJet; however, only those candidates who are selected will be contacted.
For more information about everything WestJet, please visit WestJet.com.