At Paper Hearts™, we’re passionate about changing the way the world feels. We’re a seaside stationery & design studio that makes whimsical treasures with love, care & salty air for over 300 retail boutiques across Canada.
Our team also runs Paper Hearts Post Office, an snail mail collective that licenses the work of local artists for the Sobeys family of stores across the country. In addition to that, we run a small stationery shop in the North End of Halifax, and we create graphic arts, branding assets & custom card programs for clients across Canada.
- job opening: retail shop assistant | part-time
- start date: July 17th, 2023 | flexible start date
- availability: Thurs - Sun from 10 - 6 | July schedule may differ
- compensation range: $16.00 per hour + 4% vacation accrual (equivalent of 2 weeks paid vacation for FTE), full health & dental benefits for all employees that work over 20 hours per week.
- apply by: Thursday, June 29th 2023
- Working primarily in our retail shop, located at 6061 Willow Street in the North End of Halifax.
- Assisting customers, answering questions & providing a welcoming & delightful experience in the shop.
- Packaging product & organizing the studio and shop space.
- Fulfilling online orders from both retailers & customers.
- Fulfilling and organizing orders to support our Accounts Coordinator.
- Creating orders and maintaining supplier relations.
- Receiving inventory, pricing products & merchandising.
- This includes breaking down cardboard boxes and putting them outside on the appropriate days. You're also required to take out the garbage, paper & plastic recycling daily.
- This may mean moving boxes from our storage unit to our back room, and downstairs to the basement. Some light lifting is required.
- Cleaning the shop at the end of your shift to ensure that we keep a welcoming, safe & clean environment for our staff & customers.
- Working in Shopify to create orders, track inventory, update our webstore, etc.
- Be responsible for opening & locking up the store.
- Assistance with retailer payments, accounts payable and other administrative tasks., as required.
- Creating *some* photo and video content for social media (mostly story shop tours, and other simple requests). We do have a content team to do more formalized shoots and product photography.
- Must work well independently (you will sometimes be working alone).
we are looking for someone who:
- Is reliable, trustworthy & dedicated to our team & our company.
- Wants to change the way the world feels.
- Loves small business, makers, dreamers & shopping local.
- Loves supporting our community & charities in creative ways.
- Has an ALL IN, open & flexible attitude. (Retail is ever-changing).
- Wouldn't dream of saying "that's not my job" ... like ... please no.
- Loves working as part of a team, but also is comfortable working alone.
- Is a self-starter & seeks solutions before coming to management with problems to solve.
- Takes their work seriously, but doesn’t take themselves too seriously (we like to be silly & have a good time at work).
- Is detail oriented, thorough & cares about the work they put out in the world.
- Is friendly, loves people, is polite, enthusiastic & loves to work hard & have fun!
- Must provide a criminal background check.
- Must be comfortable taking your breaks at your own discretion, when there are no customers in the store (as you will sometimes be working alone). It may not be possible to schedule your breaks for specific times during the day (unless you are working with another person on your shift, then of course you can)!
- There is a 3 month probationary period, to establish that we are a good fit for each other!
- All interested candidates are invited to apply by emailing (or dropping off) your resume & a note about why you're the perfect fit for our company to
Stefanie MacDonald & Morgan Walker at:
Looking forward to meeting you! ✨✨✨
Diversity and Inclusion Policy
Halifax Paper Hearts Graphic Design Inc. (& Kept Gifts & Housewares Inc)
Last Updated: January 2023
At Halifax Paper Hearts Graphic Design Inc (which owns Kept Gifts & Housewares Inc)., we do not tolerate racism, sexism and misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, ageism, or any other form of discrimination. We are committed to a culture of recognizing our implicit biases, responding to feedback, and addressing any microaggressions that we witness within the Paper Hearts community. In order to support and reflect our community, we are open to making accommodations as needed and prioritizing the hiring of Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, newcomers, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ folks, and people of all ages and religions.
These commitments will be reflected in our employment opportunities with Halifax Paper Hearts/Kept Shop and in building our community in our collective of local artists featured on Paper Hearts Post Office stands. Whether we are approaching new artists of our own accord or reviewing submitted applications, our values remain the same. A message conveying our commitment to serving, hiring, and amplifying marginalized voices will be included on all calls for artists, artist applications, and employment opportunities.
We undertake an annual review of this policy in January of every year to evaluate its effectiveness in creating a diverse and inclusive environment at Halifax Paper Hearts/Kept Shop. Our annual review was last completed in January of 2023.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Part-time hours: 20-31 per week
Salary: From $16.00 per hour
- Dental care
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Flexible Language Requirement:
Customers & staff can wear a mask at their discretion. We have limited capacity in the shop, and we sanitize throughout the day. If staff show any symptoms they are asked to stay home and test for COVID-19.
- Why do you want to work at Paper Hearts?
If you are currently employed, why are you looking for a new role?
What are your favourite locally made products/brands?
What is your availability (Mon - Sun)? How many hours are you hoping to work per week? Are you flexible, or is your schedule limited?
Sometimes we are required to work alone in the store, and take our breaks on the sales floor at our own discretion. Is this something that you are comfortable with?
How would you describe your personality? Do you get along well with others? Are you personable and friendly with customers?
- Secondary School (preferred)
- retail store: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-06-29
Expected start date: 2023-07-17