Article Flag: Mandatory Vaccination Please Note:
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Providence Health Care must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
Within the context of a client and family centred model of care and, in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Providence Health Care, the person promotes a safe, respectful, and civil working environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
Reporting to the CEO, the General Counsel will possess strong leadership abilities to provide a broad range of legal support and advice to leaders and staff across all levels at Providence Health Care (PHC) with the goal of advising decision-makers and other internal stakeholders on legal strategies and solutions to minimize legal risk and financial exposure in respect of PHC operations. Will work closely with the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), Risk Management and the Board Governance team to support PHC leaders, managers, and staff with legal support and consultation on policies, governance, contracts, uninsured litigation, dispute resolution, privacy, freedom of information, health care consent and decision-making, risk management, adult guardianship issues and other day-to-day health authority operational issues.
Qualifications / Skills and Education:
Law Degree from a recognized University supplemented by seven (7) to ten (10) years of active engagement in legal practice. Experience in healthcare and a degree in business administration and/or knowledge of business management an asset.
A current member in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia or eligible for membership within a specified period.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of, and familiarity with, the legislative and regulatory framework governing healthcare.
- Strong knowledge of administrative law.
- Exemplary legal writing and preparation of correspondence, summaries and reports.
- Strong ability to foster and maintain positive relationships with various internal and external stakeholders and team members.
- Ability to provide timely and practical legal advice and guidance.
- Communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing) with a wide variety of audiences.
- Experience reviewing and drafting policies and procedures.
- Strong legal research and legal analysis skills.
- Exemplary interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multitask effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and maintain and refine priorities in a complex and varied environment.
- Physical ability to perform the skills of the job.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides expert legal support and advice across the organization, including to SLT as appropriate, on a wide array of legal issues arising from or relating to program area, health organization or health system initiatives.
2. Anticipates and identifies legal issues and advises internal stakeholders on legal strategies and solutions to mitigate legal risk.
3. Advises on new and existing legislation applicable to healthcare and the impact to the organization, programs, services and staff.
4. Provides legal research, advice and opinions to PHC leadership and staff to enable effective and patient centered decision-making.
5. In collaboration with Risk Management, manages litigation and administrative tribunal matters, and liaises with client leaders, external counsel and legal counsel in other public bodies, as required.
6. In collaboration with the Board Governance team, ensures PHC compliance with bylaws and other relevant legislation. Drafts resolutions for Board Director and Society Member meetings as required.
7. Provides analysis, support and recommendations on PHC policies, procedures and practices.
8. Works closely with a diverse set of professionals including professional practice leaders, physician leaders, mental health, health protection and adult protection leaders, risk management and human resources directors, and other clinical and corporate functions, to provide legal support on various PHC projects and strategic initiatives.
9. Instructs external counsel retained to provide specialized legal services, when required.
10. Maintains relationship with and oversees management of invoicing with dedicated external legal counsel.
11. Negotiates, drafts and revises legal documentation, including contracts, with external parties on behalf of the organization.
12. Liaises and maintains relationships with external partners, including other health authorities, ministries and regulatory bodies as appropriate.
13. Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep up-to-date with industry trends, new/revised legislation and developing case law.
14. Performs other job related duties.