Dentons is designed to be different. Our firm leads the way in a rapidly changing legal marketplace. We challenge the status quo and deliver consistent results as well as uncompromising quality and value to our clients. Our global presence is renowned with over 21,000 individuals in more than 200 offices across 82 countries.
Dentons Canada is committed to its people and communities. We are consistently recognized as an employer of choice having received numerous awards including being selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers (2023); Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2023); Canada’s Best Diversity Employers (2023); Mansfield Rule 4.0+ Certification; Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards, North America 2021; and Canada Law Awards for Pro Bono Initiative of the Year 2021.
This role is an opportunity for you to join the world’s largest global law firm, a firm that offers opportunities to build your career while growing your skills and deepening your expertise.
Dentons Canada is seeking an experienced financial professional to join our Finance Team as the Director of Finance & Operations for the Ottawa office. Reporting directly to the CFO and dotted line to the Ottawa Office Managing Partner (OMP), the incumbent will work closely with senior management at the Ottawa office level, OMP and Local Practice Group Leaders (LPGLs), creating a real and active partnership. The incumbent will provide 'real time' support and financial analysis and be relied upon as a trusted advisor, adding value that will assist in decision-making. The incumbent will work in coordination with the Director of Finance & Operations, Toronto to align on strategy and financial analysis. Critical to the incumbent’s success is an ability to communicate his/her/their message, to understand the audience and deliver the information in a clear and concise manner. It is this mix of analytical, financial, business and communication skills which is at the heart of successful finance business partnering.
The incumbent will be ultimately responsible for the operations of the Ottawa Finance team and act as a liaison between the Ottawa Finance team and, 1) the lawyers, assistants and paralegals, and, 2) the National Finance Centres of Excellence (Accounts Payable, Billing and Cash Applications, New Business Intake, Controllership and Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A)). Critical to the incumbent’s success is an ability to understand and support the financial operations of a law firm (including month-end close and trust accounting), analyse results, supervise and motivate employees.
The Dentons Ottawa office is a client-focused and fast-paced environment with close to 100 members. Highly engaged within the Ottawa community and integrated with all of the Dentons offices across Canada and also globally on the wider Dentons platform, this dynamic office drives business with Canada-leading practices in venture technology and emerging growth companies, banking and commercial real estate, telecommunications and broadcasting, infrastructure, litigation and employment. This position is suited for a strategic thinker with strong financial acumen who wants to work with a team committed to the ongoing growth of not just Dentons Ottawa but the national Firm.
Please note that the successful candidate must be based in Ottawa.
- Serve as a business partner and advisor to the Ottawa management team (OMP and LPGLs). With guidance from the CFO, provide analysis and deliver insight that links financial reporting to business strategies, including growth of the business
- Support OMP on management and strategic planning for the office:
- strategic planning
- practice management (including time entry, billing, utilization tracking and reporting)
- space planning
- attend partner meetings (including preparation of underlying financial reports)
- partner compensation – including preparation of analysis to support the annual compensation process and attendance at partner compensation meetings
- guidance on staffing matters, special projects etc.
- Analyse monthly and quarterly financial and management results vs budget and forecast and provide business insights on business drivers, trends, issues, KPIs (including profitability by practice group and by lawyer). Liaise with National Finance Team accordingly
- Work closely with the OMP and National FP&A team to analyze KPI's and develop financial reporting that meets the needs of the business
- Support local business planning and budgeting process: work closely with OMP, LPGLs, other Ottawa office leaders and National Finance team to develop revenue, expense and FTE budgets and forecasts (including understanding all inputs and assumptions)
- Provide supervision and leadership to the Ottawa Finance team:
- Provide oversight to new and existing staff as needed
- Handle personnel issues related to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff
- Collaborate with National Finance and the Finance leaders in other offices to harmonize the associated finance processes between offices, focusing on best practices and systems
- Identify and deliver on profitability, cost savings and operational improvement initiatives
- Support the management and improvement of the time entry, billings and collection cycle, including interfacing with clients where necessary
- Responsible for local office operations functions:
- Supervise Office Manager and Legal Support Manager positions (these roles responsible for Legal Support Staff, Central Services, hospitality, health & safety, etc..)
- Responsible for facilities management: operations and teams supporting these (i.e. premises maintenance, repairs, furniture, office setups and moves, space planning etc.)
- Works closely with Talent team for recruitment and performance initiatives.
- 10+ years experience in senior finance role
- Previous experience working in a legal or professional services environment is considered an asset
- Business related university degree and professional accounting designation (CPA)
- Strong financial analysis including the ability to interpret what is behind the numbers and what the impact is for the business
- Experience managing diverse teams and stakeholders
- Strong ability to adapt and work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to present concepts at all levels in an organization, particularly at the senior management level
- Strong technical proficiency in all aspects of MS Windows – Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Thorough knowledge of financial and administrative operations and management
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player
- Strong ability to anticipate management information requirements
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement in a timely and effective manner
- Excellent organizational skills
What We Offer
Join a firm that is recognized as one of the top 100 employers in Canada (2023)!
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Generous allowance of flex and vacation days
- RRSP matching program
- Opportunities for professional growth
- Short and long term disability insurance
- Subsidized fitness program
- Various social events and activities throughout the year
*We thank all applicants who apply however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Dentons Canada, inclusion, diversity and equity (ID&E) are not just ancillary values, they are foundational to our business. We believe that ID&E is essential to the shared success of our team and our clients. Our forward-thinking and inclusive culture supports the professional development of all our people, enhances the leading services we offer to our clients, and informs our commitment to make a positive impact in the communities where we live and work. As a testament to our commitment to ID&E, we have been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 12 consecutive years (2011-2022), as well as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2022) for the fifth time.
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
We are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at [email protected].