SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Reporting to the Supervisor, Strategy & Architecture, Project Portfolio Management Services, the Senior Project Manager, Enterprise Solutions is primarily responsible for managing enterprise wide IT projects and is accountable for ensuring that project management duties are delivered through the effective and efficient use of financial and internal and external resources.
Managing projects and directing project team members, both from IT and other City business units, the Senior Project Manager, Enterprise Solutions is accountable for ensuring that assigned projects are delivered according to IT PMLC Framework with focus on control of project scope, schedule, cost and the management of associated risks. The Senior Project Manager, Enterprise Solutions provides leadership, guidance, technical competence, innovative problem solving, and achieves results through effective collaboration and teamwork.
This position shall be responsible for following project management best practices, project planning and delivery, and project resource management. Manage large projects and investigative assignments such as business case creation, process reviews, process improvements or re-engineering, implementation of software to support re-designed business processes, cost-benefit analyses, benchmarking studies, assessment of service delivery, department’s performance measurement and monitoring frameworks.
Working closely with other IT teams, promote teamwork and provide direction to cross-functional teams, provide clearly defined goals and objectives, provide advice on project issues and problem resolution.
Working independently and with team members, applies knowledge and experience of project management best practices to the following:
- Develop and maintain standard project management documentation and plans such as project charters; business cases; reporting and monitoring of project status; risks and issues; performance measurement; and management of organizational change including change management plans and operational impacts associated with projects.
- Manage, coach and counsel members of cross-functional teams project teams in a matrixed environment, including staff from other City areas, external consultants, contractors, vendors and external regulatory organizations clarifying roles and responsibilities, setting performance expectations, providing individual direction and feedback, and ensuring effective team communication.
- Effective risk management, including working with team to identify project risks and develop strategies to mitigate or minimize potential impacts;
- Develop and maintain project schedules, including leading stakeholders in identification of project tasks and dependencies, project resources and skill requirements;Formulate contingency plans to address schedule revision, resource adjustments, fund allocation and work requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring quality control throughout the project lifecycle.
- Development and maintenance of project budget and future budgetary impacts.
- Project reporting using PPM software, written and verbal reporting to stakeholders at all levels
- Vendor management, ensuring compliance with contracts through effective planning and monitoring.
- Contribute and adhere to all Corporate standards including IT processes, finance and procurement policies, standards, and procedures.
May be assigned to an initiative or project requiring the individual to take direction from other IT Division Supervisors, Managers and/or Senior Project Managers.
Participate in the development of programs, products, or services by assessing the impact, effectiveness and feasibility of proposed changes (review options and proposals, often developed by others). Make recommendations regarding feasibility and implementation of changes.
Stay current on emerging technologies and project management techniques.
Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the responsibilities of the position.
Work in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to the major responsibilities of the job.
7+ years of progressive experience as a Project Manager
PMP or comparable Project Management certification is required.
Progressive project experience managing the delivery of large and complex IT project(s) or program(s).
Passion for delivery and customer satisfaction which is driven by your ability to see the big picture.
Excellent interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communications skills. Excellent negotiation and mediation skills.
Excellent critical thinking, evaluation and analytical skills and the ability for long-term strategic thinking.
Proven experience and success leading multiple projects simultaneously, exhibited through excellent organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills.
Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a multi-disciplinary staff in a partially unionized environment.
Experience with Microsoft 365 is required
Experience in change management is required
Experience with Microsoft Project Online is an asset
Experience in Business Relationship Management will be considered an asset.