Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently seeking a Legal Assistant to join our Ottawa team. The ideal candidate will have a background in Legal Assistance with experience in Tax Law with a focus on Litigation and Federal Court matters, but we will consider a strong Legal Assistant from other areas. The focus of the position is to provide exemplary legal support for our Partners, allowing for the concentration to be on providing exceptional legal services to our clients.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Clerical support such as answering the telephone, e appointments for lawyers, maintaining lawyer’s calendars and reminding lawyers of deadlines; makes travel/accommodation arrangements on behalf of legal professionals, handling of expense claims.
- Perform client account administration which includes receiving, reviewing, editing and drafting e-prebills; preparing invoices for review by legal professionals; receiving and preparing accounts for finalization and preparing subsequent correspondence and addressing client inquiries regarding billings; receiving and preparing monthly summary statement of certain client invoices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Completion of a Community College Secretarial program
- Experience working with Tax Law, Federal Courts, litigation in a professional office or legal environment is ideal but will consider other areas of Law
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required to deal with a variety of internal and external contacts
- Ability to multi-task, organize and manage multiple priorities and respond to requests from a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent writing skills to effectively draft legal documents
- Ability to learn new technology and adapt to new systems and processes
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted.
For the safety of firm members and visitors, Osler is committed to complying with the recommendations of public health authorities, including with respect to adopting mandatory vaccination policies. Employment at Osler is therefore conditional on complying with any vaccination policies that Osler may adopt from time to time in response to the recommendations of public health authorities.
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
No agencies or phone calls please.
#LI-Hybrid, #LI-Ottawa, #LI-CP2