The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) offers challenging and exciting careers in health and social services delivery and administration in Canada’s North. The Territorial Authority has service locations in communities across the territory and a staff of more than 1,600 serving over 43,000 residents of the NWT and 5,900 residents of the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut. Challenging work, welcoming communities, and expanded opportunities are some of the benefits offered to employees of the NTHSSA.
The Manager, Financial Reporting (Manager) plays a key role in the validity, integrity, and accuracy of the financial statements of the Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) and other specific and interim financial reports. The Manager is responsible for leading the preparation and coordination of annual NTHSSA financial audit performed by the Auditor General of Canada’s office (OAG) along with the follow-up of recommendations arising from the annual audit report.
As the Manager, you will ensure continuous improvement and compliance with Public Sector Accounting Standards, manage the monthly review, analysis and reconciliation of general ledger accounts and support the work of the Financial Reporting section.
Critical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Practices (GAAP), Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS), accounting policies and guidelines.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the preparation and interpretation of consolidated and non-consolidated financial statements.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply accounting theory and principles in the development of policies and preparation of financial reports.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret relevant legislation, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of computer-based accounting applications, windows based operating systems, word processing, databases, and spreadsheet applications, communication software and online mainframe and billing systems.
Typically, the above qualifications would be attained by:
A Bachelor of Commerce degree with a concentration in Accounting and Finance along with a Canadian Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation in good standing combined with five (5) years of relevant experience and one (1) year of supervisory or team lead experience.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Department of Finance
Government of the Northwest Territories
YELLOWKNIFE CENTRE 5TH FLOOR
BOX 1320 YELLOWKNIFE NT X1A 2L9
Tel (867) 767-9154 Extension 14106
Fax (867) 873-0445
Note: If you do not receive electronic notification confirming receipt of your application, please follow up via telephone.