Specification Writer - ( 230001NF )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
At Stantec, we are passionate about creating places that inspire. Through our Architecture and Buildings Engineering work, we challenge design ideas of the past to create spaces that foster a culture of collaboration - spaces that are designed for community.
We believe good design extends beyond the physical elements of a space. Good design shapes our lives, influences our behaviors and interactions, and has purpose. We strive to design spaces that are meaningful and memorable for our communities. Join our team of creative professionals and work with us to create inspiring spaces for all.
We have a number of long-term, high profile projects in and around the country that require a Specifications Writer to be part of our multi-disciplinary design practice.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Participate within a departmental group/ team framework with flexibility to capture and ensure project design quality and project contract document quality.
- Review architectural design drawings to identify scope and content for specifications at typical project stages including Schematic Design, Design Development, and Contract Documents at various developmental stages.
- Develop project specifications at the stages indicated.
- Familiarity with Construction Specifications Canada (CSC) Uniformat’s Preliminary Project Description for specifications at Schematic Design and Design Development stages, although not a prerequisite would be beneficial.
- Collaborate with project team, including the Lead Specification Writer, to ensure specifications, drawings and schedules are coordinated.
- Attend client and sub-consultant meetings as needed.
- Assist design teams in selection / identification of materials, products, finishes and installation consistent with the project.
- Prepare written technical specifications consistent with industry standards such as Construction Specifications Institute’s (CSI) MasterFormat, CSC SectionFormat/PageFormat and the Canadian National Master Construction Specifications (NMS).
- Utilization of cloud-based specification writing platforms such as NBS Chorus, although not a prerequisite, would be beneficial.
- Maintain and upgrade office master specifications sections.
- Coordinate contents/ volumes of each project manual; prepare contract documents from schematic concept design through final design while ensuring they meet internal quality standards and external design and construction codes and reference standards.
- Assess requirements for project and work with the Lead Specification Writer Project Managers, Project Architects, interior designers, engineers and technicians/technologists to determine and coordinate scope(s) of work.
- Review design and recognize technical concerns and develop solutions or make recommendations to mitigate.
- Coordinate specifications with drawings throughout all consulting disciplines to meet project milestones, check quality and ensure deliverables meet internal quality standards.
- Act as a project resource to project teams and share/mentor team project staff as required.
- Research new construction products, technologies and systems.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Registered Specification Writer or other CSC designations are an asset.
- Architectural Registration preferred.
- Strong computer skills with an emphasis on Word, and Excel and Revu / Adobe Acrobat, FTP programs, and cloud-based specification writing platforms such as NBC Chorus, SpecsIntact, and BSD Speclink.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, working with others in a team setting, communicating directly with Owner and Contractor contact and working on multiple projects at the same time
- Leadership In Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of building codes, industry standards, structures, and materials standards.
- Active Member of Construction Specifications Canada (CSC) preferred.
Education and Experience
- Post-Secondary Education with emphasis given to degrees in Architecture and related fields.
- Previous experience in building construction settings, including but not limited to architecture firms with Healthcare projects.
- 3 years of experience writing construction specifications.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg
Organization : BC-1445 Buildings-CA Manitoba
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 6, 2023, 2:30:33 PM
Req ID: 230001NF
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans