Reports to Director, Member Experience
At ABCU Credit Union Ltd. (ABCU) our culture is based on the foundations of Service Leadership. Our approach is to deliver excellent experiences to employees to ensure our employees engage our members based on their goals and interaction preferences with the end goal of increased member satisfaction, loyalty, and advocacy.
The Commercial Account Manager Trainee role is part of the Commercial Services team and ABCU. This role is a learning role, designed to ensure that an exceptional “Service Leadership” experience to our members by learning all aspects of both consumer and commercial credit. The Commercial Training Officer training program is a formal learning path that requires the incumbent to be a self-starter and seek to learn over the length of the training program.
At the successful completion of the training program, the incumbent is considered fully trained and will be promoted to the role of Commercial Account Manager.
The Training Program
The training program plan provides training for the different aspects of credit. This onboarding program is 12 months in length and can be adapted based on the incumbent’s previous experience. The program consists of 5 modules in credit, and the incumbent is assigned a mentor to ask questions and be a resource through each training section.
Module 1 – ABCU – Basic Banking Skills
After completion of this module, the incumbent will have general knowledge and understanding of all aspects of basic banking skills needed to engage members in conversations. Training includes:
· Account Openings – retail and business
· Member enquiries through the contact center
· Week in the life of an Investment Specialist
The training will be a combination of individual self-study and direct member engagement. This module will take 6 weeks to complete. The length of time is dependent on the incumbent’s previous experience.
Module 2 – Consumer Credit
At the completion of this module, the incumbent will have knowledge and understanding of all aspects of consumer credit. Training includes:
· Product knowledge
· Taking credit applications and interview skills
· Completing credit checks and understanding credit and beacon scores.
· Credit adjudication process
· The approval process is both manual and through the Valeyo origination system.
· Completion of pay no pay for consumer members.
· Forms and Security
· Creditor and general Insurance conversations and referrals
· Wealth conversations and referrals
· Administration – file prep, funding, registration of security, completing paid out loans.
· Successful completion of Personal Lending and Mortgages (PLM) and Personal Financial Services and Advice (PFSA) through the Canadian Securities Institute (CSI)
· Attestation (Compliance)
The training will be a combination of individual self-study, shadowing and through member engagement. This module will take 90 days (about 3 months) to complete. The length of time is dependent on the incumbent’s previous experience.
Module 3 – Commercial Services Administration
At the completion of this module, the incumbent will have knowledge and understanding of all aspects of commercial credit administration. Training includes:
· Product knowledge
· Credit Expiry – member engagement and admin
· Margining accounts
· Preparing loan and operating account documentation
· Loan disbursements
· Security, registering and discharging.
· Paid out loan files.
· Facilitating and signing loan, investment, insurance, and account documents
· Attestation (compliance)
· Letters of Credit – reviews
· CSBFA loan administration
· Handle member inquiries
· Completing commercial credit card applications
· Completing payments for syndicated loans
The training will be mostly through self-study and shadowing. This module will take 30 days to complete. The length of time is dependent on the incumbent’s previous experience.
Module 4 – Commercial Credit
At the completion of this module, the incumbent will have knowledge of all the aspects of commercial Credit. Training includes:
· Financial Statement Analysis
· Credit Applications/interviews
· Credit Analysis
· Credit Approvals
· Credit expiries
· Completion of pay no pay for commercial members.
This training will be through self-study, shadowing and through member engagement and will provide the incumbent with a good foundation as a commercial lender. This module will take 120 days to complete. The length of time is dependent on the incumbent’s previous experience.
Module 5 – Commercial Account Management
At the completion of this module the incumbent will have the basic knowledge to manage a commercial portfolio of members. Training includes:
· Portfolio Management techniques
· Portfolio management tools
· Maximizing the member experience through proficiency in:
o Insurance solutions for small businesses.
o Succession Planning
o Wealth Management Level 2
· Prospecting and asking for referrals.
· Commercial Brokers
· Centers of influence – actively involved with Chamber of Commerce in Edmonton and Beaumont
This training is mainly hands on with self-study and working with experienced portfolio managers. This module will take 90 days to complete. The length of time is dependent on the incumbent’s previous experience.
· Work is varied and complex.
· Variation in work routines and sequences; works under general direction.
· Tasks are to be prioritized based on urgency.
· Judgment and decision making are required in choosing from a wide variety of guidelines.
· Positive attitude and willingness to learn and be part of a team.
· Grade 12 or equivalent.
· Comfort and ability to work with a high level of detail/accuracy.
· Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint).
· Incumbent will have contact with all employees and members of ABCU, Fidelity National Finance (FNF), CRI Canada, and related businesses.
· Incumbent will have contact with other credit unions, banks, trust companies, other industry related businesses, lawyers, and government and regulatory bodies.
Interested candidates please provide a cover letter, salary expectations and resume to [email protected]
ABCU thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing date: December 1, 2023
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- RRSP match
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: In person