We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
As a member of the North America Payroll Services team, the Payroll Coordinator / Analyst will assist with day-to-day payroll and administrative duties. Payroll coordinators must have good communication skills to interact appropriately with clients, HR staff and other employees to meet their needs. In this high-volume and fast-paced team you will be working against tight deadlines with high volumes of work. This job reports to the Payroll Manager for the country (either U.S. or Canada). Frequently will participate in virtual video conferences on various platforms such as teams, to establish effective relationships with peers and leaders.
- Assist the Payroll Manager and team; participate in the accurate and timely payroll processing: (Canada is a semi-monthly payroll for approximately 12,000 employees in 10 provinces with 10 companies/U.S. Payroll is a biweekly and weekly cycles of approximately 5,000 employees in 49 states with 6 companies)
- Process daily transactions from Inbound Interface from Workday, third-party vendors; review integration error reports, correct missing date directly in ADP Globalview
- Manually update payroll system based on AskHR cases assigned to payroll
- Reconcile and report payments, initiate EFT funding requests
- Performs a variety of sophisticated duties in the preparation of processing, maintenance of payroll, salary, tax payments, allowances, benefit calculations, equity compensation plans.
- Research, analyze, and retrieve data to prepare and maintain sophisticated payroll records, summaries and reports
- Investigate and respond to Payroll Tier 1B escalated cases (tracked in Salesforce)
- Attends trainings and workshops as directed
- Works OT occasionally (around year end, to support audits, busy periods, etc.
Key Accountabilities: (Allocate the percent of total working time spending on each accountability, which should add up to 100%)
Individual Accountabilities: Payroll Processing 60%
- Review of daily PECI files, integrations between Workday and ADP Global View. Monitor transactions and make manual adjustments in ADP Global View when errors occur
- Be familiar with how to review inbound integrations from Workday, third-party vendors or other business units (i.e. commissions, benefits, equity, charitable deductions, pension plan etc.)
- Be familiar with how to review inbound PICOF file (time off and overtime) from Workday and adjust in payroll system if needed.
- Assist with other quarterly, monthly, and yearend report balancing, reconciliation, and remittances including but not limited to: WCB, Health Tax, Quarterly SUI tax filings, expat reconciliations, etc
- incentive payments, termination and severance pay, deductions, etc.
- Create record of employment (ROE) (Canada only)
- Perform basic reconciliations and analysis in Excel or other systems.
Tier 1B NA and HRAdminNA emails and ASKHR Cases – 20%
- Verify payroll data for reasonableness and compliance.
- Maintain payroll documentation and procedures as required for internal and external audit compliance.
Payroll Governance, Audits, and Controls – 20%
- Verify payroll data for reasonableness and compliance, able to identify anomalies and outliers.
- Ensure payroll documentation and procedures are followed and maintained, periodically review and update SOP (Standard Operating Procedures)
- Research, plan, test & implement legislative changes related to payroll, and make vital system and/or processes updates, collaborate closely with Payroll vendor as needed
Other responsibilities as assigned.
What motivates you?
- You obsess about customers, listen, engage and act for their benefit.
- You think big, with curiosity to discover ways to use your agile approach and enable business outcomes.
- You thrive in teams and enjoy getting things done together.
- You take ownership and build solutions, focusing on what matters.
- You do what is right, work with integrity and speak up.
You share your humanity, helping us build a diverse and inclusive work environment for everyone.
What we are looking for
- 3-5 years of full cycle Payroll Processing experience (Canada or U.S. as appropriate)
- Two-year degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong sense of logic and an aptitude for mathematics
- Solid understanding of payroll processing, tax principles, wage & hours legislation
- Large selection of US states/Canadian Provinces a plus
- PCP with NPI (National Payroll Institute)/FPC with PayrollOrg (formerly American Payroll Association) a plus, highly recommended
- Experience with large ERP systems like Workday, PeopleSoft, Oracle
- Experience with large third-party payroll providers like ADP, Ceridian, UKG
- Experience with ADP GlobalView (as a processing services client) a preferred
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to focus in a busy environment
- Exposure to complex payroll scenarios mobile employees, long and short-term business travelers, expatriates, converting payments into different currencies
- Able to demonstrate problem-solving and data analysis skills during interview
- High attention to detail, accuracy, efficiency, and ability to handle multiple priorities
- Ability to follow sophisticated verbal & written direction and instructions (SOPs) without deviation
- Ability to work under pressure against tight deadlines
Able and willing to participate in Teams, Zoom, Webex or other conference platforms on camera
What can we offer you?
- A competitive salary and benefits packages.
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills.
- A focus on growing your career path with us.
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
Professional development and leadership opportunities.
Our commitment to you
- Values-first culture
We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity
We create opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career.
- Continuous innovation
We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We foster an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship
We build a business that benefits all stakeholders and has a positive social and environmental impact.
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife /John Hancock , we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour , ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process . All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies . To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact [email protected] .
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
Salary range is expected to be between
$48,450.00 CAD - $80,750.00 CAD
If you are applying for this role outside of the primary location, please contact [email protected] for the salary range for your location. The actual salary will vary depending on local market conditions, geography and relevant job-related factors such as knowledge, skills, qualifications, experience, and education/training. Employees also have the opportunity to participate in incentive programs and earn incentive compensation tied to business and individual performance.
Manulife offers eligible employees a wide array of customizable benefits, including health, dental, mental health, vision, short- and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance coverage, adoption/surrogacy and wellness benefits, and employee/family assistance plans. We also offer eligible employees various retirement savings plans (including pension and a global share ownership plan with employer matching contributions) and financial education and counseling resources. Our generous paid time off program in Canada includes holidays, vacation, personal, and sick days, and we offer the full range of statutory leaves of absence. If you are applying for this role in the U.S., please contact [email protected] for more information about U.S.-specific paid time off provisions.